Chapter 6: A Night to Remember

Harriet's POV

The excitement of the Yule Ball spread through Hogwarts like wildfire, with students bustling around the castle discussing dates, dresses, and how they were going to spend the evening. The Ball was all anyone could talk about, and while most students seemed overjoyed at the prospect of the event, I wasn't quite sure how I felt.

Formal dances had never been my thing. The idea of getting all dressed up and dancing in front of everyone made me nervous. I had faced down dangerous creatures, but the thought of gliding across the floor in some fancy gown? That was a whole different kind of challenge.

Still, there was something-or rather, someone-that made the thought of the Yule Ball bearable: Caden.

We were sitting by the Black Lake one afternoon, the sunlight casting a warm glow over the water. Caden had been quieter than usual, though I didn't press him. I had learned by now that he often needed time to think before sharing what was on his mind. We sat in comfortable silence, his arm draped over my shoulders as I leaned against him.

"I've been meaning to ask you something," Caden said suddenly, breaking the stillness.

I looked up at him, curious. "What's that?"

His silver eyes met mine, and I could see the hesitation there, which was unusual for him. Caden was always so confident, so sure of himself, and seeing him hesitate sent a flutter of anticipation through me.

"I wanted to know if you'd go to the Yule Ball with me," he said, his voice softer than usual, but steady.

For a moment, I was stunned. I hadn't expected him to ask, though I wasn't sure why. Of course, he would. I just hadn't thought that far ahead.

I smiled, my heart swelling at the thought of attending the ball with him. "I'd love to go with you, Caden."

The tension in his shoulders eased, and he gave me a relieved smile. "Good. I was hoping you'd say yes."

I laughed softly, nudging him playfully. "Did you really think I'd say no?"

"No," he admitted with a smirk, pulling me closer. "But I wanted to make sure I asked properly."

The week leading up to the Yule Ball was a whirlwind of preparation. Hermione, who had tried to act like she wasn't interested in the ball, had thrown herself into getting ready the moment she was asked by Viktor Krum. She dragged me along on her hunt for the perfect dress, though I still wasn't sure what I was going to wear.

As the ball approached, I found myself getting more nervous-not about the event itself, but about dancing. Caden had mentioned that there would be a traditional opening dance for the champions and their dates, and the thought of stumbling through a formal waltz in front of everyone made my stomach twist.

That's when Caden stepped in.

"Let me teach you," he had said one evening as we sat together in the common room.

"Teach me?" I repeated, raising a brow.

"To dance," he clarified with a smile. "I know you're worried about it, but it's really not that hard. And besides, we'll be together. I won't let you fall."

I bit my lip, unsure. "I've never really danced before."

"Then it's time you learned," he said, standing up and holding his hand out to me.

I hesitated for only a moment before taking his hand. He pulled me up gently, leading me to the center of the room where there was just enough space for us to practice.

"Okay, first, just follow my lead," he said softly, his hand resting on my waist while the other held mine. "Don't think about it too much. Just let yourself move."