Chapter 7: Under the Stars

Harriet's POV

The Yule Ball had been nothing short of magical. The laughter, the music, and the way Caden and I moved together on the dance floor as if we had been doing it our whole lives-it had felt like a dream. I couldn't remember the last time I had felt so light, so free from the weight of everything. For one night, there was no Triwizard Tournament, no tasks, no danger-just the two of us.

But even after the ball had ended, the magic of the night lingered. The other students were slowly filtering out of the Great Hall, but Caden and I weren't quite ready for the night to be over. We had slipped away from the crowd, walking hand in hand through the castle corridors until we found ourselves outside, the cool night air wrapping around us as we made our way down to the Black Lake.

The stars twinkled overhead, their reflection shimmering on the surface of the lake. It was quiet now, the excitement of the ball fading into the background, leaving just the two of us in the stillness of the night.

Caden squeezed my hand gently, pulling me closer to his side. "Did you enjoy the ball?"

I smiled, leaning my head against his shoulder. "More than I thought I would."

He chuckled softly, brushing a kiss against my temple. "You were amazing out there. I knew you would be."

"I couldn't have done it without you teaching me," I said, looking up at him. "You made me feel... confident. Like I belonged."

His silver eyes softened, and he stopped walking, turning to face me. "You do belong, Harriet. You always have."

I bit my lip, feeling a warmth spread through me at his words. Caden had a way of making me feel seen, truly seen, in a way that no one else ever had. With him, I didn't have to pretend or hide-I could just be myself.

"I don't know what I would do without you," I whispered, my fingers gently brushing along his jaw.

He leaned down, his forehead resting against mine. "You'll never have to find out."

For a moment, we stood there, wrapped in each other's presence, the rest of the world falling away. His arms encircled me, pulling me closer until there was no space between us, and I felt his steady heartbeat beneath my cheek. This was my safe place-here, in his arms, under the stars.

"I love you," I said softly, the words spilling from my lips as naturally as breathing.

"I love you too," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion as he kissed me, slow and tender, under the blanket of stars. The world was quiet around us, and in that moment, everything felt right.

Caden's POV

Holding Harriet under the stars, I felt a sense of peace that I hadn't known I needed. The tournament, the challenges, the pressure-it all melted away when I was with her. She was my anchor, the one thing that kept me grounded no matter what chaos swirled around us.

The Yule Ball had been a perfect escape from the intensity of everything we'd been facing, and seeing her in that dress, her smile lighting up the room as we danced... it was a memory I'd hold onto for a long time. But it was this moment, here by the Black Lake, that I knew I'd cherish forever.

I pulled back slightly, my hand resting on her cheek as I gazed down at her. "You have no idea how much you mean to me, Harriet."

She smiled up at me, her green eyes shimmering in the moonlight. "I think I might."

I chuckled softly, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "No, really. I don't know how I'd get through all of this without you. You make everything... easier."

She shook her head gently, her fingers tracing small patterns on my chest. "You'd be fine, Caden. You're strong."

"I'm strong because of you," I said quietly, my voice sincere. "You're my strength."

Her lips curved into a soft smile, and she leaned up to kiss me again, slow and sweet, like we had all the time in the world. And in that moment, it felt like we did.

Harriet's POV

As the night went on, we eventually found our way back to the castle, though neither of us was eager for the night to end. The Yule Ball had been everything I hadn't known I needed-fun, freeing, and full of moments that I would carry with me for a long time. But there was a small part of me that knew this peace wouldn't last forever. The second task of the Triwizard Tournament was coming, and the challenges would only get harder from here.

The next morning, as we sat in the Great Hall for breakfast, the buzz of excitement from the ball had died down, replaced once again by talk of the tournament. The other champions sat at their respective tables, each of them looking as tense as I felt.

Caden, however, seemed calm. He sat beside me, his hand resting casually on my leg under the table, offering silent reassurance as we listened to the chatter around us.

"How do you think you'll handle the next task?" Hermione asked, leaning forward with a curious expression. She had been closely following the tournament, analyzing every detail as if it were another test.

Caden shrugged, his expression thoughtful. "I'm working on a few strategies. I know it's going to be underwater, but the specifics are still a mystery."

Ron, who was seated across from us, looked up from his plate of eggs with a frown. "Merpeople, right? That's what the egg said."

Caden nodded. "Yes, but there's bound to be more to it than just that. The tournament is never as simple as it seems."

Hermione hummed in agreement. "You're right. The organizers will definitely throw in some surprises. You'll have to be prepared for anything."

Caden smiled, though I could see the tension in his eyes. "I will be. I have a plan."

I squeezed his hand under the table, offering him a small smile. "You'll do great."

He turned to me, his silver eyes softening as he nodded. "I have to. I made a promise."

Caden's POV

The second task was fast approaching, and though I had a plan in mind, the uncertainty of it all weighed heavily on me. The Black Lake was vast, its depths hiding creatures and challenges I could only guess at. The clue from the golden egg had been clear: I would need to retrieve something-someone-from the merpeople at the bottom of the lake.

That someone could be anyone, but I had a strong suspicion of who it might be. And the thought of Harriet being placed in danger, even for the sake of the tournament, filled me with a fierce protectiveness.

I had told her not to worry, that I had a plan, but the truth was, I wasn't entirely sure what I would face. All I knew was that I couldn't fail. Not when someone I cared about could be at risk.

That afternoon, I found Harriet by the Black Lake, sitting on our usual bench with a book in her lap. The wind tousled her curls, and she looked up at me with a soft smile as I approached.

"Hey," she greeted, closing her book and setting it aside. "How are you feeling about the task?"

I sat down beside her, my gaze drifting out over the lake. "I'm ready for it. I just... I don't like the idea of not knowing what's down there."

She reached over and took my hand, her touch grounding me. "You'll figure it out. You always do."

I smiled, grateful for her unwavering belief in me. "Thank you."

We sat in silence for a while, the gentle lapping of the water against the shore filling the quiet between us. I had been spending every spare moment preparing for the task, but now, sitting here with Harriet, I realized just how much I needed this-her. She was my calm in the storm, the one thing that made all of this bearable.

"I'll keep my promise," I said softly, turning to look at her. "I'll come back to you. No matter what."

She smiled, her green eyes filled with affection. "I know you will."