Chapter 10: Slow Healing

Harriet's POV

I had never realized how much I took warmth for granted until I was wrapped up in so many blankets that I could barely move. Madam Pomfrey had insisted on keeping me in the hospital wing for a few more days, ensuring that the cold from the lake didn't settle any deeper. Every morning, she bustled around, checking on me and the other students who had been part of the second task, muttering under her breath about "reckless tournaments" and "irresponsible challenges."

The truth was, I didn't mind the extra time to recover. My body still ached from the cold, and even though I was getting better, my throat felt raw, and I couldn't shake the persistent cough. Every breath felt a little shallow, like my lungs hadn't fully thawed from the icy grip of the lake.

Caden had barely left my side. I would wake up to find him sitting next to me, reading a book or just watching over me with that same protective gaze. He had become my constant source of warmth, his presence like a beacon of comfort through the haze of recovery.

On the third day, when I felt strong enough to sit up without getting dizzy, I finally convinced him to talk about something other than how I was feeling.

"You've been sitting here for days," I said, coughing lightly as I tried to sit up straighter. "You're going to go stir-crazy."

Caden raised an eyebrow, closing the book he'd been reading. "You think I'm the one going stir-crazy? I'm not the one stuck in bed."

"I'll be out of here soon," I said, trying to sound more optimistic than I felt. "You should go do something. I'm fine."

"You still sound like a frog," he teased gently, his silver eyes softening with a smile. "You're not getting rid of me that easily."

I rolled my eyes, though it was hard to stay annoyed when he looked at me like that. "I'm serious, though. You need a break."

He leaned forward, resting his hand on mine, his thumb brushing over my knuckles in that soothing way that always made my heart race. "Harriet, I want to be here. I'm not leaving until you're fully better. Besides, it's kind of my job to take care of you, isn't it?"

I couldn't help but smile at that, my heart swelling with affection. "You've done more than enough already. You saved me, remember?"

Caden's expression softened, his eyes filled with emotion as he leaned closer. "I'll always save you."

Caden's POV

Harriet was stubborn, always trying to play down how much she needed rest. Even now, sitting up in the hospital bed with a blanket wrapped around her, she was trying to convince me to leave and give her space. But there was no way I was going to leave her side until I was absolutely sure she was alright.

"You need more time," I said quietly, watching her struggle to keep herself upright without wincing. "You were in that lake for a long time. You can't just shake off something like that."

She sighed, resting her head back against the pillow. "I know, I know. I just hate feeling so... helpless."

I reached over and tucked a stray curl behind her ear. "You're not helpless. You're recovering. There's a difference."

Her lips curved into a small smile, though I could still see the frustration in her eyes. "You make everything sound so simple."

I smiled back, squeezing her hand gently. "That's my job."

The truth was, seeing Harriet like this-vulnerable and still recovering-stirred a fierce protectiveness inside me. The lake had taken a toll on her, and I couldn't shake the image of her floating in the water, trapped and helpless. Even now, days later, the memory still haunted me.