Chapter 4: Into the Fire

Harriet's POV

The morning of the first task arrived far too quickly. My nerves had been on edge for days, anticipation and fear swirling together in a confusing mess. The tournament was all anyone talked about now, and the excitement in the air was nearly suffocating. For me, though, it was anything but thrilling.

I stood at the edge of the stadium, surrounded by the other students, my heart pounding as I scanned the area. I knew what was coming, but nothing could prepare me for the reality of watching Caden face one of the most dangerous challenges in the magical world.

The stands were packed, every student and teacher gathered to watch the spectacle. Hermione and Ron stood on either side of me, their faces lit with anticipation, but all I could feel was the gnawing anxiety in the pit of my stomach. I tried to stay calm, to remind myself that Caden was strong, skilled, and prepared for this. But I couldn't shake the image of him facing something impossible, something that even his strength might not be enough for.

The champions were lined up at the edge of the arena, and Caden stood tall among them, his expression calm and focused. He was wearing his Durmstrang robes, his silver eyes locked on the task ahead, but every few seconds, his gaze flickered toward me. Even from this distance, I could feel the bond between us, a constant hum in the back of my mind. It reassured me, even if only a little.

"Do you know what the task is yet?" Hermione asked quietly, her voice breaking the tension.

I shook my head. "No. They've kept it secret."

"Well, whatever it is, Caden will be fine," Ron added, his voice more confident than I felt. "He's tough."

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. My throat felt tight, and my hands trembled slightly as I clutched my cloak closer to me. I couldn't let them see how worried I was. Not now.

Just then, Ludo Bagman's voice boomed over the crowd, calling for everyone's attention. "Welcome to the first task of the Triwizard Tournament! Today, our champions will face a challenge of bravery, skill, and wit. They will each have to retrieve a golden egg-guarded by none other than dragons!"

The crowd erupted in cheers, but my blood ran cold. Dragons. I had heard the rumors, but hearing it confirmed sent a wave of dread crashing over me. Caden was going to face a dragon.

Hermione gasped beside me, her hand flying to her mouth. "A dragon? That's... that's dangerous, even for the tournament."

Ron whistled, looking a bit impressed. "Bloody hell."

I barely registered their reactions, my focus entirely on Caden. He didn't flinch at the announcement, his face a mask of calm, but I knew him well enough to see the tension in his shoulders. The task had officially begun, and he was the first to face it.

The crowd quieted as Caden stepped forward, making his way into the arena. A deafening roar echoed from within, and I saw the massive shadow of the dragon looming ahead. The Hungarian Horntail, one of the deadliest breeds, was chained to a post, guarding the golden egg that lay shimmering in the middle of the arena.

My breath caught in my throat as Caden approached the dragon, his wand gripped tightly in his hand. The Horntail's yellow eyes locked onto him, its massive body shifting as it prepared to strike.

"Come on, Caden," I whispered under my breath, gripping the railing in front of me so hard that my knuckles turned white. I had seen him practice spells, I had seen him fight, but this was different. This was real.

Caden's POV

The roar of the Hungarian Horntail rattled through my bones, but I forced myself to stay calm. My heart pounded, adrenaline coursing through my veins as I faced the creature. It was massive, its scales gleaming in the sunlight, its tail flicking back and forth, ready to strike. But I had no room for fear. Not now.

My mind raced, recalling every bit of training I'd gone through at Durmstrang, every strategy I'd been taught. The goal was simple: retrieve the egg. But with a dragon standing in my way, 'simple' was far from the right word.

I took a deep breath, my fingers tightening around my wand. I could feel Harriet's presence, even though she was far away, watching from the stands. The bond between us was always there, like a quiet reminder that I wasn't alone. It gave me strength.

The Horntail let out another roar, its massive wings stretching as it shifted toward me. I had seconds to react before it struck. With a sharp flick of my wand, I cast a spell that sent a blinding flash of light toward the dragon's eyes, forcing it to rear back in confusion. The crowd roared in approval, but I blocked out the noise, my focus entirely on the task at hand.

The dragon wasn't going to be fooled for long. It swung its massive tail, sending a wave of dust and debris into the air as it snapped its jaws dangerously close to where I stood. I dodged to the side, my eyes locked on the golden egg in the middle of the arena. I needed to draw the dragon away, just long enough to make a move.

With a quick incantation, I conjured a large boulder to appear near the dragon's feet. The Horntail snapped at the illusion, giving me the precious seconds I needed. I sprinted toward the egg, the heat of the dragon's breath scorching the air around me.

Just as I reached for the egg, the dragon let out a deafening roar and swung its tail in a wide arc. I barely had time to dive out of the way, the force of the swing knocking me off my feet. Pain shot through my shoulder as I hit the ground hard, but I didn't let it stop me.

Rolling to my feet, I cast another spell, this time sending a stream of water from my wand toward the dragon's face. The Horntail hissed in frustration, shaking its head wildly as it tried to shake off the spell.

Now. This was my chance.

I darted forward, ignoring the pain in my shoulder, and grabbed the golden egg. The crowd erupted in cheers, but I didn't care about them. All I could think about was getting out of the arena in one piece. The dragon snapped its jaws, but it was too late-I was already out of its reach, the egg clutched tightly in my arms.

I made it to the edge of the arena, my chest heaving with the effort, and the Horntail let out one final roar as it was subdued by the handlers.

I had done it.

As I stepped out of the arena, I scanned the crowd for her-Harriet. And there she was, standing at the front, her eyes wide with relief, her hands clutched tightly to her chest. I gave her a small nod, and the smile that spread across her face was enough to make every bit of pain worth it.

Harriet's POV

The moment Caden emerged from the arena, clutching the golden egg, my heart soared. He had done it. Relief flooded through me, and I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. My hands shook slightly as I clutched the railing in front of me, watching him as he made his way back toward the stands.

Hermione and Ron were cheering beside me, but I could barely hear them. All I could focus on was Caden-he was safe. He had faced a dragon and walked away unscathed. Well, mostly unscathed. I could see the way he cradled his shoulder, but that was nothing compared to what could've happened.

As soon as he was close enough, I pushed through the crowd and ran to meet him. He caught me in his arms, the golden egg pressed between us as I wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my face in his chest.

"You did it," I whispered, my voice thick with emotion.

Caden chuckled softly, wincing slightly from the pain. "I told you I would."

I pulled back just enough to look up at him, my hand cupping his cheek. "You scared me to death."

"I'm sorry, mio cuore," he said, his voice gentle as he leaned down to press a kiss to my forehead. "But I'm alright. I'm here."

I nodded, blinking back the tears that threatened to spill over. "And you've got the egg."

He smiled, holding it up proudly. "That's right. One task down."

I let out a shaky laugh, resting my head against his chest again. "You're amazing, you know that?"

"I try," he teased, wrapping his free arm around me. "And I'll be even better with some rest."

I smiled, holding onto him just a little longer. As long as he was safe, as long as he was here with me, I could handle whatever came next.