The Envelope

London, 6 PM

London, 6 PM.

Naomi stood at the kitchen counter, her gaze fixed on the small envelope sitting untouched beside her glass of water. The ultrasound photos from their last scan were still laid out in front of her, the familiar grainy shapes of the baby catching her eye. It was strange how she could see so much—tiny hands, little legs, the gentle curve of the head—yet still not know something as simple as whether they were having a boy or a girl.

She heard the front door open and close, Harry's footsteps shuffling through the hall. He appeared a moment later, throwing his keys and wallet onto the counter.

"Hey, love," he greeted, coming up behind her to give her a quick kiss on the cheek. "You alright?"

Naomi nodded, but her eyes drifted back to the envelope. She didn't need to say a word; Harry noticed it right away.

"Still driving you mad?" he said with a chuckle, running a hand through his hair as he leaned against the counter.

She let out a breathy laugh. "You have no idea."

Harry raised an eyebrow, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge before sitting across from her at the table. He unscrewed the cap, taking a long sip. "Well, you know I won't be upset if you open it," he said, though his tone was light as if he were testing the waters.

Naomi gave him a look. "Do you really think we'll last until the birth without opening it? Honestly?"

Harry grinned. "I thought I could. You're the one who's been staring at it for weeks."

Naomi crossed her arms, sighing in frustration. "I just don't know, Harry. Part of me really wants to know, but... part of me doesn't."

Harry nodded thoughtfully, leaning back in his chair. "Alright, let's break it down. What's the pro of finding out now?"

Naomi glanced at the envelope again, her mind spinning with thoughts. "I guess... we could plan better. Like, if we knew, we could pick a name, and buy clothes. The nursery would feel more... done."

"Makes sense," Harry agreed, nodding along. "And what's the con?"

Naomi hesitated, chewing her lip. "It ruins the surprise. We've already made it this far without knowing. I don't want to regret it."

Harry tapped his fingers lightly on the table, considering her words. "True. But what's worse—regretting we found out now, or regretting we waited and drove ourselves mad for the next four months?"

Naomi let out a groan, her head dropping into her hands. "I don't know! I honestly don't know anymore."

Harry reached across the table and gently tugged her hand away from her face. "Hey, it's alright. We don't have to make the decision right this second."

But Naomi shook her head, leaning back in her chair. "No, I think we should. It's been sitting here for so long, Harry. If we don't decide soon, I'm going to lose my mind."