Two Hundred Socks

London, 3:30 PM

London, 3:30 PM.

Naomi stood in front of the mirror, smoothing her hands over the soft, floral dress she'd chosen for the day. Thirty weeks pregnant. Her bump was now unmistakable, rounding out the front of the dress in a way that made her smile. She felt both excited and nervous—today was her baby shower, and while she wasn't usually the type to enjoy being the center of attention, she couldn't deny that the love and excitement surrounding today was infectious.

The soft sound of voices and laughter drifted through the house, signaling that guests were already arriving. Naomi felt her heart skip a beat, both thrilled and overwhelmed by the thought of everyone gathering to celebrate her and the little nugget growing inside her.

"Ready, love?" Harry's familiar voice called from the doorway. Naomi turned to see him leaning casually against the frame, his eyes warm as they took her in. He stepped forward, his grin widening as he approached her.

"You look absolutely stunning," he said, wrapping his arms gently around her from behind and resting his hands on her belly. "Can't believe you're 30 weeks."

Naomi chuckled softly, resting her hands over his. "I know. Feels like everything's moving so fast. Sometimes I'm not sure I'm ready for all of it."

Harry pressed a kiss to her temple, his voice soft in her ear. "You're more than ready. And you're going to be amazing."

She smiled, leaning back into him, feeling the steady rise and fall of his chest. Harry had been her rock throughout the pregnancy, always knowing when to joke, when to comfort, and when to just hold her like this. It made everything seem a little less daunting.

"Alright, I'm going to head out for a bit," Harry said, giving her a final squeeze before pulling back. "You sure you don't want me to stick around? I can help you win all the baby games," He said with a smirk.

Naomi rolled her eyes, laughing. "You'd just be a distraction, and you know it."

Harry smirked, looking mock-offended. "Me? A distraction? Never." He leaned down to press a quick kiss to her lips before grabbing his jacket. "I'll be back later, okay? Try not to miss me too much."

Naomi shook her head as he left, a smile lingering on her face as she made her way toward the living room.

The living room was transformed. Talia, Freya, and the rest of her friends had outdone themselves. Pastel balloons and streamers in soft pinks, creams, and golds decorated the space, while delicate paper flowers hung from the ceiling. The smell of fresh flowers mingled with the scent of freshly baked pastries and cakes set out on a table.

"There's our beautiful mum-to-be!" Talia exclaimed as she rushed over, pulling Naomi into a warm hug. "You look incredible!"

Naomi smiled, a little overwhelmed by the sight of so many familiar faces all gathered in one place. Her mum was chatting with Freya by the food table, and Ellie and Faith were setting up games near the couch. The room was buzzing with excitement and warmth.

"How are you feeling?" Talia asked, guiding Naomi over to a chair draped in a soft pink blanket. "

"I'm doing good!," Naomi laughed, settling into the chair. "As good as I can be, I guess. I wish I could see my feet, but oh well."

Faith appeared with a tray of snacks, a look of understanding on her face. "I feel you, girl. When I was pregnant with Olive, my feet were so swollen I had to buy a new pair of shoes."

Naomi laughed, her heart full. As much as she hated being the center of attention, she couldn't deny how much love and care had gone into planning the shower. She could feel it in every detail—from the tiny baby bottles filled with candies on the tables to the thoughtful handmade decorations that Ellie had spent hours crafting.

As the guests gathered around, the games began. Laughter filled the room as Naomi's friends and family took turns guessing who the baby would look more like, debating baby names, and even trying to change diapers on dolls while blindfolded.

One of the games was to guess how many baby socks fit into a jar, and Naomi laughed as Freya dramatically overestimated. "Two hundred socks, Freya? Really?"

Freya shrugged, grinning. "Hey, babies have tiny feet!"

Naomi's heart swelled throughout the afternoon, especially during the quieter moments when her friends offered her words of encouragement and advice. Faith, who was already a mum, shared stories of her own pregnancy journey, while Naomi's mum told stories of when she was pregnant with Naomi. Each tale made Naomi feel a little more connected to the long line of mothers before her, a bond that was growing stronger as her own time neared.

Toward the end of the afternoon, it was time to open gifts. Naomi had been both dreading and looking forward to this part, knowing it would mean an avalanche of tiny clothes and toys. But as she unwrapped each present, her heart swelled. There were tiny onesies, soft blankets, adorable baby shoes, and even a personalized baby book with the name "Baby Lewis" written in gold script on the front.

"Oh my gosh, these are adorable," Naomi said, holding up a pair of baby socks shaped like little foxes.

"I saw them and immediately knew I had to get them!" Talia laughed.

But the best part was the love that came with each gift—the thoughtfulness of her friends and family made her feel even more prepared for the new life she was about to step into.

Later in the evening, after most of the guests had left, Harry returned as promised, his eyes widening when he saw the mountain of gifts piled in the corner.

"Blimey, they didn't hold back, did they?" he said, picking up a small stuffed animal from the pile.

"Nope," Naomi said, grinning as she rested on the couch, exhausted but content. "Our girl is already so spoiled."

Harry chuckled, setting down the toy before moving over to sit beside her. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into him. For a moment, they sat in silence, the quiet hum of the evening settling around them.

"Thank you for everything today," Naomi murmured, her head resting on Harry's shoulder. "I didn't realize how much I needed this."

"You deserve it," Harry said softly, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "And so does our little nugget."

Naomi smiled, her hand instinctively moving to her belly. She felt the baby shift inside her, a gentle reminder that their world was about to change. But in this moment, with Harry beside her and the love of their friends and family still buzzing in the air, she felt more ready than ever.

"We've got a lot of work ahead of us," Harry said, glancing at the pile of gifts.

"You have a lot of work," Naomi turned to look at him with a sheepish grin.

Harry chuckled softly, shaking his head as he drew her closer. He pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead, allowing his head to rest against hers. In that moment of quiet intimacy, the air around them felt charged with love and anticipation, enveloping them in a warmth that made everything else fade away.

AUTHORS NOTE

CHAPTER 11!!! guys we are getting so close to the end! Who's excited?

Hate isn't welcomed, but constructive criticism is.