Chapter 23

The days dragged on in a monotonous haze, each one a painful reminder of the absence of Nabi in Sunghoon's life. He spent most of his time at Jihoon's apartment, but even the company of friends couldn't fill the void she had left behind. There was an ache in his chest that only seemed to grow heavier with each passing moment. Jihoon's earlier advice echoed in his mind—he needed to reach out to Nabi, to see how she was doing.

With a resolve that felt foreign to him, Sunghoon finally decided to take the plunge. He had hesitated long enough, and the gnawing worry about her well-being propelled him forward. What if she needed him? What if she was struggling too? The thought pushed him out the door and toward her apartment, a mix of hope and trepidation swirling in his stomach.

As he arrived at the familiar building, a rush of memories flooded back. The countless evenings spent here, their laughter echoing through the halls, the warmth of their shared moments—it all hit him like a wave. Sunghoon took a deep breath and walked to her door, his heart racing with anticipation.

He raised his hand and knocked gently, the sound echoing in the quiet hallway. He waited, counting the seconds that passed like hours. When no one answered, he knocked again, louder this time, anxiety creeping in. The silence was deafening. A pit formed in his stomach, the feeling of dread clawing at him.

After what felt like an eternity, he stepped back, his heart pounding. Just as he was about to turn away, he noticed someone approaching. A young woman in her twenties, bright-eyed and cheerful, walked up to him. She stopped, her brow furrowing in curiosity as she noticed his troubled expression.

"Hey! Are you looking for someone?" she asked, tilting her head slightly.

"Yeah," Sunghoon replied, his voice shaky. "I'm looking for Nabi. Do you know if she's home?"

The woman's face shifted to a look of confusion. "Nabi? Sorry, I don't know anyone by that name. I just moved in a few weeks ago."

Sunghoon's heart dropped. The world around him felt as if it was spinning, the colors of his reality fading into dull grays. "You moved in a few weeks ago?" he echoed, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Yeah, I'm still getting to know the neighbors. Sorry!" she said with a friendly smile, oblivious to the storm brewing inside him.

Sunghoon took a step back, his mind racing as déjà vu washed over him like a cold wave. The familiar feeling of losing someone crept in, twisting the knife deeper into his chest. It was happening again; he was losing Nabi, this time for good. "She moved?" he asked, his voice breaking.

The woman nodded, and Sunghoon felt as if the ground had shifted beneath him. "I'm really sorry. I wish I could help you."

As she walked away, Sunghoon stood frozen, panic tightening its grip around his heart. No. This couldn't be happening. He fumbled for his phone, dialing her number desperately, his fingers trembling as he pressed the call button.

But it rang and rang until a message echoed back at him: "The number you have dialed is not in service."

The realization crashed over him like a tidal wave, obliterating the last shreds of hope. The phone slipped from his hand, clattering to the ground as his knees buckled beneath him. He had lost her. He had pushed her away, and now she was gone, leaving him in this suffocating void.

Sunghoon sank to the pavement, his heart shattering into a million pieces. The ache in his chest felt unbearable, a cruel reminder of his mistakes. Regret washed over him, heavy and suffocating. He should have fought for her; he should have shown her that he could be better, that he could support her dreams. Instead, he had allowed fear and doubt to dictate his actions.

But now it was too late.

A wave of anger bubbled up within him, directed at himself and the circumstances that led to this moment. "Why didn't I just tell her how I felt?" he muttered, frustration clawing at his insides. "Why did I think I was a burden?"

He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to blink back the tears that threatened to spill. But despite the heartache, he couldn't shake the knowledge that she would be okay. She was strong, determined, and capable. Somewhere out there, she was chasing her dreams, free from the weight of his insecurities. Maybe this was how it was supposed to be—her flourishing while he floundered.

As he sat on the curb, Sunghoon looked up at the sky, the clouds drifting lazily overhead. In that moment, amidst the turmoil, he realized that no matter how much he regretted his choices, he wanted her to be happy—even if it meant living without him. He could only hope that one day, he would find the strength to move forward and maybe, just maybe, find a way to heal the wounds he had inflicted on himself and their love.