Chapter 21

The apartment felt eerily quiet as Nabi left for work, leaving Sunghoon behind with nothing but his thoughts. The walls that had once echoed with laughter and love now seemed to close in on him, amplifying his insecurities and fears. Sunghoon sat on the couch, his heart heavy, replaying the events of the last few days in his mind.

He thought about the accident and how it had stolen his dreams, leaving him feeling like a shadow of the person he used to be. The struggle to find purpose while watching Nabi flourish in her career felt unbearable. He felt like a burden, like he was clinging to her light while being too dim to shine himself.

That evening, he found himself pacing back and forth in the living room, anxiety gnawing at him. He needed to say something, to address the elephant in the room. Taking a deep breath, he sat on the edge of the couch, waiting for Nabi to come home, rehearsing the words that felt like daggers in his throat.

When she finally walked through the door, her eyes lit up at the sight of him, but as she stepped closer, the concern etched on her face shifted the mood.

"What's wrong, Hoon?" she asked, her voice laced with worry.

He swallowed hard, struggling to find the right words. "Nabi, I need to talk to you," he said, his voice trembling.

She set her bag down and moved to sit beside him, her expression serious. "What's going on?"

Taking a moment to gather his thoughts, he looked deep into her eyes, hoping to find the strength to say what needed to be said. "I don't think... I don't think I can do this anymore," he admitted, the words heavy on his tongue. "You deserve someone who can give you everything, and I can't even support myself properly."

Nabi's heart dropped at his words, her breath catching in her throat. "What are you saying? Hoon, I love you. We can get through this together."

But he shook his head, tears brimming in his eyes. "I love you too, but I can't stand seeing you do everything for me while I give you nothing in return. You deserve better." The frustration and hopelessness that had been building within him broke free, the weight of his own inadequacy pouring out.

"Nabi," he continued, voice breaking, "you have so much potential, so many dreams ahead of you. I can't be the one holding you back."

Her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she squeezed his hand tightly. "You are everything to me. I don't care about the gifts or the money. I just want you." Her voice was desperate, each word soaked in emotion.

His heart ached at her plea, but he was determined to do what he thought was best for her. "I can't let you do this, Nabi. You have such a bright future ahead of you. You deserve someone who can lift you up, not weigh you down."

In a sudden rush of emotion, Nabi pulled him into a tight hug, her body shaking with sobs as she buried her face in his shoulder. "Don't leave me, Hoon. Please."

He held her close, feeling her tears seep through his shirt, his own heartbreak mingling with hers. "I'm sorry, Nabi. I love you so much, but I can't stay knowing I'm holding you back."

The words felt like a final verdict, and the pain in Nabi's chest grew unbearable. She clung to him, her body trembling as she cried. "You're not a burden. You're my everything," she choked out, her voice muffled against him. "I can't imagine my life without you. We can fight through this together. I promise, we can find a way."

But Sunghoon could only shake his head, tears streaming down his cheeks. "I can't be the reason you lose your dreams. I just can't."

In that moment, a crushing silence enveloped them, the weight of what was unsaid hanging heavily in the air. Nabi pulled back, searching his eyes for any hint of hope, but all she saw was despair. "Please, don't do this," she begged, desperation etched into her features.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, and in that moment, the reality of their love felt both profound and tragic.

Nabi's heart shattered as she realized the truth of his words. She wanted to fight for them, to pull him back from the edge, but she could see in his eyes that he had already made up his mind. The thought of losing him felt like a deep, hollow ache. She wanted to scream, to shake him and make him see how much he meant to her. But all she could do was wrap her arms around him one last time, feeling the warmth of his body, the heartbeat that had always made her feel safe.