8. Into the shadows

Into the shadows

As they moved deeper into the cave, Isadora's excitement bubbled over while Draco maintained an air of irritation. The cave was an exhilarating place for her; she felt at home amidst the shadows and glimmers of Moonstone. But Draco remained aloof, his expression a mixture of annoyance and reluctant intrigue as he watched her.

"So, what do we need next?" Draco asked, crossing his arms and leaning against the wall, his tone flat as he tried to mask his curiosity.

"Next, we'll look for more Moonstone deposits," Isadora replied, her enthusiasm undeterred by his attitude. "I've read that they often grow in clusters further in. We might even find some Snargaluff pods nearby."

"Right, because that's what I signed up for—hunting for shiny rocks in a dark cave," he replied, rolling his eyes dramatically.

Isadora narrowed her eyes at him. "If you'd rather be outside, you could have paired up with Pansy," she shot back, her voice edged with irritation.

"Yeah, because that would have been so much better," he retorted, but there was a hint of something softer lurking beneath his irritation.

They moved deeper into the cave, and Isadora felt her pulse quicken with excitement. She reached out to touch the glimmering walls, lost in her thoughts about the magical properties of Moonstone. "It's so fascinating how the light reflects off these minerals," she said, glancing back at him. "Did you know—"

"Why are you so obsessed with this stuff?" Draco interrupted, his brow furrowed as he regarded her. "I mean, it's just rocks, isn't it?"

"It's not just rocks!" Isadora exclaimed, feeling defensive. "Moonstone has incredible magical properties. It can enhance spells, increase intuition, and it's even used in healing potions!"

"Yeah, but who cares?" he said, an edge creeping into his voice. "We're here for a project, not a lecture on magical stones."

Isadora felt a flicker of irritation ignite in her chest, but she pushed it down. "If you cared to listen instead of acting like a spoiled brat, you might actually learn something, Draco," she said, her voice steady despite the irritation brewing within her.

He paused, clearly taken aback by her sudden assertiveness. "I didn't mean—"

"Exactly," she cut him off, her frustration simmering. "You didn't mean to, but that doesn't make it any less annoying."

Draco looked at her, irritation flickering across his features, but beneath that, there was an undeniable curiosity. She could feel his gaze lingering on her, and it was as if he was trying to figure out this strange girl who knew so much about plants and creatures.

"Whatever," he muttered, clearly struggling with the emotions swirling in his chest. "Just let's find the Moonstone and get out of here."

"Fine," Isadora replied, though she felt a bit smug at having gotten under his skin. "Let's keep looking."

As they walked, Isadora's focus returned to the cave around them, but she could feel Draco's eyes on her, observing her every move with an intensity that made her skin prickle. She glanced back, catching him mid-stare, and an odd flush crept into her cheeks.

"What?" she asked, unable to mask the annoyance in her voice.

"Nothing," he said quickly, but the slight smirk on his face betrayed him. "You just look... interesting when you talk about this stuff."

She rolled her eyes, not wanting to dwell on the feeling that bloomed inside her at his comment. "You really don't have to pretend to care. I'm not here to impress you."