Chapter 5: The Walk

It was snowing while I walked. A chill went up my spine. My feet started to drag on the soft snow. I stumbled on an icy patch. I died a little inside. "Dammit," I mumbled under my breath.

I don't know why I decided to walk, but I did. I could see my breath in the frosty air. My boots sunk lower and lower in the snow. "Thanks for shoveling your sidewalk." I mumbled to myself.

The snow started to come down heavier. I tripped and face planted in the snow. I broke down right then and there. The stress of the day had taken over me. I took out my phone and dialed a number.

I impatiently waited for August to come pick me up. It took her forever.

Just then, I saw her drive over to me.

"Oh my gosh! Finally!" I yelled

She giggled, "Sorry, traffic."

I gave her a look, "Traffic, here? You got to be kidding me."

Then she scooped me up and carried me to her car. Luckily I'm not heavy.

We arrived at my grandmas a few minuets later. I ran in.

"Grandma! Cali! I'm so sorry." I said as soon as I burst into the house. My grandma got up and walked over to me.

"Are you ok?" She looked at me with soppy wet eyes.

"Yea, I'm fine. Well, now I am."

She nodded her head, "Good."

I just remembered there was someone else in the room... Cali. I looked over to her. Her hair was in a mess. Her crystal eyes, full of sadness. I motioned her to come to me. Suddenly, Cali burst out of her chair and flew into my arms. I couldn't help but to feel my heart ache for her. She's only 10 and is losing her dad to a stupid car accident.

"R-R-Rain..." He stammered in between sobs.

"Shhhh, Cali. I'm here now." I stroked her hair. I noticed my grandma watching us.

"Grandma, can you please leave while I talk to Cali. Not trying to be rude but, please?"

She left the room with no answer.

I looked back down to the little bundle of sadness in my arms.

"Oh, Cali. I'm sad too. We need to be strong. Daddy loves you. He'll be ok, I promise. Wait... No I can't promise that. Cause it might not be true." She laughed a little giggle.

"Cali, you can do this. Just be strong. You don't have to be cause I'm here. But just try."

She looked up and smiled. "Now," I said. "Let's go eat you cleaned up."

I took her to the bathroom, brushed her hair, washed her face, cleaned her glasses, and put a little cheer in her day. After that I left her there and walked to the kitchen. What did I need? Food. Food is all I need right now. I searched all the places I might find pizza rolls or ice cream.

"Looking for this?" My grandma's voice startled me. I turned and looked to see a pail of vanilla ice cream hanging by the handle from her hand. I grabbed out some bowls and spoons. Yummy, yummy ice cream.

I scooped up the ice cream in two bowls and brought one to Cali. She took it happily. The sweetness covered my tongue and the chocolate made a shiver go down my spine. By the time we were finished, we were humming little happy tunes. Suddenly, I passed out and another dream occured...

I didn't scream this time, but I woke up crying. After all that had happened, it seemed logical to have a dream like that. I knew for sure it wouldn't come true. Or did I?