Chapter 39

"This is insanity!" Kanti exclaimed, her voice high-pitched with panic. "You can't rescue Cyrus on your own. I'm not doubting your power, but remember what Azra said? Dunsinane is where Sanguina will be at her strongest. It would be almost impossible for you to defeat her there."

"I know," Valerie agreed, amazed by how calm she was, her sense of purpose giving her certainty. "But if I don't go, Cyrus and his family will be hurt. If you could have heard Zunya's voice, you would know that he wasn't bluffing. He'll kill them one by one to get to me if he has to. Please, don't make me live with that on my conscience for the rest of my life."

"What about my conscience? Let me come with you! They won't consider me a threat since I don't have any magic. But at least then there will be two of us. We can watch each other's backs."

Valerie had never seen Kanti so desperate. Her face was flushed, and sweat beaded her forehead. There was no way that Kanti was going to let her go without coming along. Valerie couldn't blame her. But she couldn't bear the thought of putting another friend's life in jeopardy. She had caused enough damage already.

Valerie had an idea. "You can't come with me because I need you to do something even more important. We can't leave Gideon and the others in Zunya's control. Get Azra and as many Conjurors as you can to defeat him. Once they're safe, you and Azra can come help me in Dunsinane without worrying that they'll be hurt."

"We should do that first, together, and then go rescue Cyrus!"

Valerie shook her head firmly. "I know Sanguina. She will make him suffer for every second that I delay. This will work. We both have to move as fast as we can."

"All right. But if you and Cyrus don't come back in perfect condition, I swear to you I will find Sanguina myself and tear her apart with my bare hands," Kanti said with a quiet rage that Valerie had never imagined her capable of.

"So how do I get to Dunsinane fast?"

"The wind tunnel is the quickest way. But I've never visited the mountains before, so I don't know how to direct you farther than that."

"'The castle on the highest peak,' Zunya said. It can't be that hard to find."

"Azra wasn't able to find it," Kanti said doubtfully.

"Azra didn't have an invitation," Valerie replied. Sanguina would be all too eager to destroy her as soon as she had a chance. The thought made her stomach roil with nerves.

The booming sound of the knocker hitting the front door echoed through the entire house. Kanti and Valerie exchanged worried glances.

"Probably just a visitor," Kanti said, but she kept her voice at a whisper. They crept down the hall and peered through the banister down to the first floor. Ani had transformed into Iago and hurried to open the door. To Valerie's horror, Ani ushered one of the transparent Conjurors into the house and glanced around nervously, as if she was afraid that she would be seen.

"Wha—" Kanti started to say, but Valerie clapped a hand over her mouth.

"Could you BE any louder? They're sure to hear you. You incompetent fools have made enough of a mess already, do you want to add blowing my cover as WELL?" Ani hissed to the man, glancing up toward the banister where Kanti and Valerie were peering. They jumped back to avoid being seen.

Kanti shook her head and then slammed her fist into the wall beside her. "How could Ani do this? She's my family!"

"I don't know, but we have to get out of here," Valerie said. She pulled a stunned Kanti down the hall back to their room. "You've got to keep it together. We have to get out of here right now."