Chapter 8

KATE's POV (age 16), the next day:

I woke up to the sound of my alarm ringing on my phone.

"Ugh!", I groaned as I rolled out of bed and reached for my phone. After I turned the alarm off, my eyes widened.

I had 23 missed calls from Toby!

I wondered if I should call him back, but I decided not to. I'd just talk to him at school in an hour or so.

After brushing my teeth and putting in my contact lenses, I grabbed some cute denim shorts and a pink tank top from my closet and pulled them on in record time. I slipped my feet into some nude sandals and then sat down at my dressing table to do my makeup and hair.

My hair, thankfully, was nice and smooth from using my expensive shampoo and conditioner last night.

I brushed and straightened my hair quickly, and then applied a light layer of foundation, mascara and lipgloss.

When I was satisfied with my appearance, I bounded down the stairs and made my way to the kitchen.

Thanks to mom's well-paying job, our house was huge. Much bigger than our old house in California.

I didn't really care for it, though. I would rather have mom home for at least a few hours a day than have a huge, gorgeous house to myself.

Sighing, I grabbed a couple of fruit from the fridge and chopped them up.

As I ate, I let my mind drift off. I wondered why Toby had wanted to talk to me yesterday. I hoped I wouldn't feel awkward around him now that we'd had sex. He seemed like a fairly nice person, aside from the whole "man-whore" thing.

In fact, he was one of the nicest guys I'd ever met...Well, other than...Eric.

Eric.

I wondered how he was. When I'd moved away, something went wrong with my cell phone, and I lost all my saved numbers, so I couldn't call Eric.

He could've called me, though. But he didn't. I never got a single phone call. Not even a letter, even though I'd sent him tons!

I'd spent hours crying over the fact that he was ignoring me, but I eventually realized that I was acting pathetic.

I was a huge geek in seventh grade. No normal person would have wanted to be my friend back then, anyway.

Eric had probably only been my "friend" out of pity, and he'd probably been secretly relieved when I moved.

Just then, I glanced at the clock and realized that I was getting late.

I grabbed my purse and made my way to my car.

---

My first period was English, but I couldn't concentrate.

Toby kept staring at me weirdly for the entire lesson, and it was making me really uncomfortable. I shot Toby a questioning look when the teacher wasn't looking, but he just shook his head quickly and looked away.

As soon as the period was over, I walked over to Toby.

"Is something wrong?", I asked him.

"Uh...no.", Toby said, not meeting my gaze.

"Well, why were you calling me yesterday? I just saw all the missed calls this morning."

Toby didn't reply.

I raised an eyebrow at his strange behaviour, but he remained silent.

After a moment, I shrugged to myself and started to walk away.

"Wait!", Toby suddenly said.

I turned around to face him. "What?"

Toby nervously scratched the back of his neck. "Well...I was wondering if you wanted to...go out?", he mumbled.

My eyes widened, and I stared at Toby. He was always so confident and cocky, and now he was acting like a twelve year old girl who had a crush on someone.

Was that someone...me?

"You don't have to if you don't want to.", Toby blurted out, distracting me from my thoughts.

"No, I'd like to go out with you.", I said, putting on a smile. I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

A big grin spread across Toby's face, and he said, "Cool. I'll text you the details." before exiting the classroom.

Well, that was unexpected, I thought to myself.

__________

A/N: UGH! I hate that this chapter is so short :'(

But it has to be. Because in the next chapter, it'll be NEXT year. So four years will have passed ;D

What do you think of Toby btw? And just the chapter in general? Tell me in the comments :)

I know I say this after every chapter, but thank you SOOOO much for commenting and following and voting and all that stuff.. :')

Btw, my current favourite songs are: -> give me love- Ed Sheeran

-> One minute- Krewella

-> Heart attack- Demi lovato :D