Chapter 12

A/N:

I'm so, so sorry for the delay in this chapter :( The entire thing got deleted, and I had to rewrite it. It might not be very good for that reason :/ I'm so stressed about my exams, too...Only a few days left :s

OH, and thank you soooo much to everyone who followed, voted, commented or even just took the time to read this story :) This story is actually kind of popular now :o It really makes me happy to know that people actually like something I wrote :D ...anyway, here's the chappy:

______________

KATE's POV

I stared at the guy, my mouth slightly ajar.

"Wow, Kate. You've gotten awfully pretty.", he said, winking.

The guy smiled hugely, showing off his perfectly white teeth.

"Uh.", I said dumbly. Was he....?

No. No way. Maybe he wasn't who he looked like. Maybe he was just a guy who looked exactly like a bully from middle school.

"What's wrong, Katie?", he asked, pouting. "Don't you recognize me?"

He clasped his hands together under his chin and leaned forward, batting his eyelashes in a girly manner.

"Are you...J-John?", I asked incredulously.

"That's right!", he exclaimed happily. "I'm so glad you remembered me!"

He reached for my hand, but I quickly stepped back.

"What the hell are you playing at?", I said in a low voice.

John blinked rapidly, a bemused expression appearing on his face.

"What are you talking about, Kate? Aren't you glad to see me?"

I swore at him loudly, not caring that someone might hear me.

"Tsk tsk, Katie-poo. Such filthy words shouldn't come out of a young lady's mouth.", John admonished playfully, wagging a finger at me.

What was going on? What was wrong with him? Was this really the same guy who'd bullied me in middle school?

He definitely looked the same. He still had smooth brown hair, a tall frame, and bright blue eyes, but he didn't look scary and menacing anymore.

His eyes were sparkling, and he had a huge, radiant smile on his face. It wasn't a fake smile, either, like the one he'd put on in front of most people back in middle school. He looked like was genuinely...happy.

"Oops, I have to go, Kate.", John said, glancing at his watch. "See you later!"

Then he quickly kissed my cheek and skipped away, humming to himself.

What...What had just happened?

Was I dreaming?

---

"Wait, what? He's been like that for three whole years?", I asked Eric disbelievingly as we left our Physics class.

"Yeah.", Eric replied, fiddling with his pen. "Apparently, it's because his brother died. I think it was cancer."

"Oh.", I said, biting my lip. I hadn't even known that he'd had a brother. "Shouldn't he be upset if his brother died, though? Instead, he's acting like the happiest man on earth."

Eric shrugged. "I really don't know. To be honest, I think he's gone a bit mad, but at least he isn't bullying people anymore."

"What happened to his minions? Blake and Jay?", I asked, frowning.