Jasmin's POV (1)

Jasmin’s POV:

It was Friday, the last day before winter break.  I was in Chem. class looking out through the window at the big snowflakes that had just started to fall. The teacher was talking but I couldn’t pay attention anymore because there was only 10 minutes before the bell. I needed to get out. I needed a break. Also this was the only time I would be free to go to my Uncles house to stay and spend some time with my grandma. She stayed with my aunt and uncle because they had little kids and my aunt worked. I loved my two little cousins but I hated the fact that they got to spend so much time with my grandma. Lost in my thoughts about the two weeks off I didn’t realize my best friend Melly poking my arm trying to get my attention.

“Jasmin…Jasmin.” She whispered.

“What…huh? Yeah?” I asked her still dazed in my thoughts.

“Dude, class is almost over, can’t you wait to daydream?” she laughed quietly avoiding being caught by the teacher.

I gave her my ‘ha-ha very funny’ look.  She smiled and lightly punched me.

“I’m not daydreaming Melly, I just got distracted by the snow outside,” I smiled, “Plus, there’s three minutes until winter break. Three minutes until I can go and sleep in till twelve, where I don’t have to worry and can go shopping and play Modern Warfare all day.”

We both giggled. I was one of the only girls who loved playing video games like Modern Warfare and COD. It was fun playing and it was nice having something to talk to my guy friends about that I actually understood.

 I’m the type of girl that a lot of other girls hate. Why? I really didn’t know. I guess it’s because I’m easy to get along with and I’m myself and not afraid to show it that to other people. I don’t care what people think about me and people don’t like that. I’m not the greatest looking either so I don’t understand what else people are so jealous about. I’m 5’10” and medium build; I have dark brown eyes, black hair that curls around my shoulders.  I’m pretty sporty but basketball is my favourite.  I spend almost every day afterschool practicing with my team and for once, today I didn’t have to, so I was free to go home and relax.  I’m really excited for this winter break and I don’t know why. The excitement was more than just spending time with my grandma. This break something was going to happen, I could feel it, but I didn’t know just what it was.

Finally the bell rang.  I grabbed my books, and darted for the door with Lynnea trailing behind me.  Lynnea is a great friend of mine. She’s half Asian and half white with beautiful hazel eyes and straight black hair. She always knows how to make me laugh and we get along great. She quickly walked up matching my pace and started smiling ear to ear after seeing Jesse. Jesse is a guy like every other, you know what I mean, the type who leads you on and ignores you for a little while. So you fall for them anyways and can’t stop yourself.  I was so sick of guys like that, I had already been hurt by a jerk like that once and right now I had become more of the observe from far away kind.  I sighed at the thought. Wow, I was such an idiot. I quickly went to my locker and after collecting a couple of textbooks so that I could review, I put on my big puffy winter jacket on, pulled on my backpack and made my way to Lynnea’s locker. I quickly said good bye and walked to my other group of friends. After a short chat and hugs, I walked down the hall to the door on the far side and walked up the hill where my mom picked me up. Her galaxy grey Honda civic was waiting in its usual spot. My feet made crunching noises in the freshly fallen snow and I could feel the snowflakes fall on my eyelashes. By the time I reached my car, the fur on my hood was covered in snow. I loved snow whereas my mother-who had to drive in it- hated it. I thought there was something magical about it, and loved it when the light hit it and it sparkled.  I spent the ride home watching the snow fall and didn’t even realize that my mom had been telling me to get out of the car.

“Where are you these days?” she asked concerned.

“Right here mom,” I laughed, “I’m just really tired and I need this break really badly.”

She nodded and gave me a hug and we walked together to our house, once again being covered by the snow. I started packing my clothes for the few days with my grandma and got some candy for my little cousin Aria. She wasn’t allowed to have candy, but I hardly got to see her and when I did, I loved spoiling her as much as possible. I made my way down the stairs to the kitchen to find mom already putting a slice of hot cheese pizza on a plate for me.

“Thanks mom.” I said while pulling the stringy cheese off the pizza.

Finally we started the half hour drive to our uncles’ house. I like going there because it’s far away and it’s a big house hidden by trees that are everywhere including the front and the back of the house. It’s nice because it seems like an actual break from reality at times. I stuck in my headphones and started listening to my iPod on shuffle.

A bunch of songs later, we finally pulled into the twisty drive way. My mom quickly kissed me goodbye, told me about dad and her leaving on another business trip and not knowing when they would be coming back and left, carefully driving on the new snow. Our dog Nova jumped up onto me, excited to see me after such a long time. I petted her and scratched her soft black and beige fur a lot before realizing that she would be staying inside now due to the cold-she always wanted the most attention. I slowly trudged my way inside to find Aria and her older brother Eshan and Rishi eagerly waiting for us. Aria jumped into my arms and landed between my torso and my legs since she couldn’t jump so high, so I picked her up and gave her a big hug. Man did I ever miss her.

“How are you?” I asked as she kissed me on the cheek.

“Good, really good, Jas,” She said grinning, “Me and Eshan went and made a snowman and then it got dark so Grandma said to come inside and then Grandma said Jas is coming over so I was really excited! I got new toys! Wanna see, wanna see?” She started to drag me into her playroom. Eshan and Rishi quickly hugged me and started playing. Grandma walked in as Aria started showing me her Barbie dolls.

“Hey sweetie.” She said standing in the doorway. I leaped up and hugged her as tight as possible. She seemed frail and little.

“Hi Ma, I missed you so much!” I said hugging her again. I called my grandma Ma since I was little because she took me on a trip to India when I was only a year old. Her and I have always been close.

Me and Aria played a little more with her tea set and trucks that she took from Eshan’s basket and then went upstairs to get dinner. I sat at the wooden table on the chair that looked out to the backyard covered by sliding glass doors. That’s when I saw it. It seemed doglike and at first I thought it was just Nova when I realized Nova was inside. Just my imagination, I thought to myself and continued to eat my dinner. After a tummy full of my Grandma’s awesome food, I went upstairs changed and crawled into the bed that was mine for when I came over to stay. I could hear the slight noises of the T.V. from downstairs but was slowly drifting off to bed. I had almost gone to sleep too when something licked my hand. Nova had made her way inside and now was sitting next to me, head on the bed. I started stroking her head and slowly fell asleep. I had the strangest dreams about wolves and Nova protecting me from something and barking. I woke up to find her up and actually barking at the window. I quickly got up to look outside and saw nothing there except for the trees and the bright moon shining in the sky. I opened the window to see if anything was there but didn’t see anything. I closed the window regretting it now that the cold air had come in making me shiver head to toe. Nothing’s there Nova, calm down. I pet her again and fell asleep curled up like a ball.