Chapter 22: Running Out of Air

Time was running out.

We were down fourteen points with six minutes left in the fourth quarter.

No one really was expecting to be ahead. These girls were good, and way to tall.

"I don't know what to say, I really don't. I know that they want it more than you. They are cocky and they think that they've got you beat already. Well I say you whoop up on their asses." We did a break then went onto the court.

The refs were just as bad as I thought they would be, the one ref anyway. He called me on two fouls I honestly wasn't even around for, and Coach had a fit about it. Despite my foul trouble, I was having a pretty good night.

Twenty-three points wasn't exactly bad when you were playing against people that don't even have to jump to block your shot. There was one advantage to that though: I could get the three open with a simple screen. I couldn't drive the lane like I wanted to. Every time I made a move towards the basket, someone was there to stop me.

I picked up Grace, who turned out to be a total bitch. Someone should punch her in the face. Maybe I could talk Jordan.

"Hey Shoe," She said.

I slowly turned around. She reminded me of Jordan, the old Jordan.

Jordan wasn't really as bad as she has been in past years. In-fact, I'd actually grown kind of fond of her. She'd laid off the torture, and had really started to get her temper under control. I even invited her over, and she said yes. I was expecting her to spit on me.

"Stop calling me that." I said.

She rolled her eyes, something I would do.

"Are you still dating Jaxon Duncan?" She questioned.

I could feel my eyes widen in shock.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Gracie Holmes."

"And?" I pushed further.

"Well I'm sure you know about him?"

I raised my eyebrows.

"How do you even know him, or me?" I asked, beginning to get creeped out. Seriously? What is it with people?

"I used to go to Marceline." She said, laughing quietly to herself.

"That doesn't explain how you know me."

"Well, you're Sam Shoey, everyone knows who you are."

Once again I rolled my eyes and kept walking, but at the same time I was flattered.

I glared into the stands at Jaxon. I was mad at him, and he still hadn't figured that out. Or maybe he had and he just didn't want to face me. I was getting sick of it though. Every time I would see him in the hall, he would make an excuse to get away from me. At lunch he avoided all eye contact, along with any conversation.

It really didn't make any sense why he was acting that way. Surely it wasn't the accident, I mean no one was even hurt that bad. Or maybe it was something that I did.

"Thirteen, you ready?" Ralph asked, snapping me out of a daze.

I nodded my head, then fronted Grace, who was getting ready to catch an inbounds pass. She was probably going to jab step right, then cut left. Right as the in-bounder slapped the ball, Gracie did exactly what was expected. I watched the ball as it floated in the air momentarily. I slapped the ball out in front, then dribbled in for the lay-up. I could of easily shot the three, but wasn't going to risk it.

Twelve points.

I laughed a little in Gracie's direction.

"Watch it thirteen." Ralph said, pointing at me.

Perfect, a ref watching my every move. I couldn't catch a break.

The crowd was on their feet. I could feel a Schuyler run about to begin, and they could feel it to. I looked to the section where my family and friends sat. My mom and dad were smiling at each other, which confused me. Couldn't they choose another less important time to distract me?

I sighed to myself. At least they weren't fighting.

"Screen!" Hannah yelled to me, but it was to late.

I ran into it, hard. I fell to the ground, hitting my head in the process. I felt a pop in my neck, then I heard the fans in the stands shutter. That wasn't good.

"Dammit." I heard coach say from the sideline.

My head was facing where my friends and family sat. The smiles were gone from my parents faces, and instead were replaced with fear.

The whistles blew around me. I tried to move, but couldn't. I tried to scream, but couldn't.

When I said time was running out, I didn't mean the game clock.

Author's Note

Its finally up! And great news, the next chapter is already written! SO in about two or three days I will put the next one up.! Maow!

Love, Maddie