Snow

"Dakota, stop it!" Colton laughed, as I was tickling him as we sat on my front porch in the winter snow. I smiled and stopped as I slightly shivered in the winter season, as a few snowflakes were falling onto my eyelashes.
"Why did you want to bring me outside, anyway?" Colton asked, as I was pulling my old school sweatshirt sleeves over my fingertips.
I sighed and looked at him. "I at least wanted to make some kind of memories before you leave."
Colton made a face, which I just looked away too. You see, Colton was leaving to become a Marine. I was proud of him, of course. I just, didn't want my high school best friend to leave. We were 18, and graduated seven months ago, and I just was getting the hang of becoming an adult. Living in a small town in Colorado where it snowed often, I didn't want to face the fact my four year best friend was leaving, actually meaning we both had to grow up.
Colton had brown hair and brown eyes, simple and fascinating. People thought I was crazy for becoming best friends, but then again, I was nuts! My high school year was simple, no drama really, a few bitches here and there, but I think becoming friends with Colton was the most fantastic thing ever. Colton was a sweet boy, but had his moments when he could a real pain. But, I mean, at least he wasn't a pain to me usually, just to his friends. I think it was always because I gave Colton a reason, maybe he thought I was fragile, maybe he just knew my emotions shouldn't be messed with, which was true.
"You know I always wanted to become a Marine, Dakota." I looked down at his soft voice and words. I knew that, I just wish it was a dream when he told me the day we graduated.
"It's not fair, you're so young! "I said, as I heard the cars going down the road.
"I know that, Dakota. But, it's just...It's something I really want to do. I hope you'll be there along the way and support me." He said, begging eyes were given.
"I never said I didn't support your decision, I just wish you would just stay here in Colorado." I said quietly. Colton was always there for me, the day my father left me and my mom. The day when I came home to find my mother on acid and freaking out and start running after me with the butcher knife in the kitchen, I remembered that perfectly, I had to spend the night at Colton's house until I finally plucked up the courage and called my mom, where she was back to normal. "You always were there Colton."
Colton made a slight face with his lips, deciding what he was going to do. "I'll letter you, I promise." That was nothing like seeing him; he was my best friend and always understood my pain. As his mother and father were dead, feeling alone when he grew up in a foster home. "I know it's not the same--"
"It'll never be the same." I said blankly, playing with my blue bangs.
"But it's something better than nothing."

My name is Dakota Leon. Things were saddening and complicated now.
But then, it seemed like it was just when you stubbed your toe, things started no later. Pain, danger and slaughter were later on.