CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

"How are we even supposed to call a mermaid in this isolated water in nowhere?"

It could be a couple of hours away before the sun hit 12 when Niamph asked about the impossibility of calling a half fish-half fairy without wings in a small pond kilometre away from the spot they rested earlier.

Thrain stood straight beside Niamph; both of them were studying whatever Reagan was doing when he dipped his left index finger beneath the water while circling in around.

They felt a silent grumble on their stomach, and probably heard them making an awkward sound. True, they were hungry when Reagan brought nothing but berries. They cannot cook corn; neither can they cook oats in their situation.

Niamph finally whispered over Thrain's ear, his arms tucked in each other.

"Don't you find it unsettling?"

"What?" Thrain looked at him disapprovingly. Earlier, he was on his side, now, he isn't.

"This robot seemed to know so much, of everything happening right now."

"I've thought of that too, since he told me mum was in Olympus. He turned out to be correct. But I don't really think it's time for questioning. We'll have our answers soon." He wanted to cross his fingers.

A moment of silence went over them.

"I think it's you, who are a bit mysterious Niamph. You seemed to be important with those guys over there, but you still joined us."

He bit his lips before he defended him self.

"Actually, I was about to gave my self when they caught us. But why would I, when I was only inches away from their blaster. Knowing who I was, they should have stopped firing. I was shocked too...

...but it was you who almost saved me from that shot in that weird room."

It occurred to Thrain that Niamph didn't know where they were that time. Moreover, he seemed not to know what he was doing inside that tube soaked in a bluish fluid.

"Don't you know anything like, where you were, or what you were doing 'there' that time?"

"I have no idea" honesty was in his voice "I don't even know why I was there and wet, with weirdoes. All I could remember was I slept on my bed, after I drank my warm milk."

He answered plainly, and he didn't looked too bothered by calling his team "weirdoes" but Thrain pushed no longer when Reagan called them.

"So, any good news?" Niamph interviewed.

"Yes. This pond here is connected with the main water system so calling you friend wouldn't be hard."

"But, simply, how is that possible?" Thrain asked.

"It goes like this. Mermaids cannot talk underwater. Vocal chords in the neck would not work under their. So they use an implanted device in their heads – foreheads to be exact – to communicate with each other when on the water. It gives of different sound waves from the wearer, same as it receives."

Thrain did remember a circular object under the skin of Oona's forehead.

"But, we do not have that kind of device, do we?"

"Well, I have this." Reagan pointed his left index finger, with a little piece that was pretty unrecognizable

"Mermaid names, when spoken by voice, give off a very unique sound wave, that's why no two mermaids have the same name. Now, Thrain, I want you to whisper very clearly in my ear her name. That's all you need to do. You do not need to introduce your self, you voice should be registered on her device."