Chapter 1: Regret

So this is what it feels like to be free in the world. I've always expected this to feel better. Something's missing. It can't be a partner, can it? No, I have my companion cube, I've always trusted it. (mainly because it didn't try to stab me in the back.)

I'm walking throughout the field, and still partially wondering if this was a fake simulation or something. GLaDOS is tricky, you can never tell whether she's with you or against you. Like when we were in Aperture Innovators; When she was a potato battery, she was so fond of me. Probably because she knew that at any moment I could have crushed her like the potato she was. But I didn't, I trusted her because I knew that she couldn't be tricking me. Not as a potato.

Either way, I'm free, still searching for the end of this wheat field, and thinking back to the song I heard when I destroyed GLaDOS before to amuse myself. (I'm not even angry, I'm being so sincere right now.) I can't remember much of the incident, and not because I have partial brain damage. But because I've been in suspension for so long, I didn't even believe the announcer when he gave me seven 9's. I always remembered how many, hoping I would be able to interpret it eventually.

After a couple of days of resting on my charred companion cube in this wheat field, I've started to become a bit more used to this world. The sun, the trees, the animals. The very nature of this world looks beautiful. I look up at the moon, and wonder if he's still there, not because I truly think he deserves another chance, but because if he is, then I don't think he would be coming back any time soon. But when I try to forget about the past, it just keeps rolling back as if it were still the present. Either way, whatever happens to Wheatley now, is his and the space core's problem, not mine, I still have sixty years left of my life and I'm gonna live them.

Oh, who am I kidding! I miss him, I'm not dying to see him or anything, though. He was just the only semi friend i'd ever had. I didn't want him in space, either. That was just a reaction. But he was nice, he was funny, you couldn't say he was mean, bossy, or even that dumb, for a core who was supposed to be. Even the scenario i'm in now reminds me of the past, Wheat field - Wheatley. he's gotta be sorry for what he did. He can't be floating in space and still thinking about killing me. I miss him, his accent and his kindness towards me.

I know he really was a moron, and that was true. But he was a smart moron. He did alright for an Intelligence Dampening Sphere. Why do I even miss him? I bet I was wrong, he probably wants to kill me still. He was the closest to a friend I've ever had. I sighed. And probably always will be.

I can't really blame him for a lot of the things he did. I mean, turning her into some potato chip was fine by me. Even if she was still supposed to me my friend at the end, I couldn't do it. I wouldn't dare be friends with her at Aperture. She'd tried too much. I sighed again. I should stop thinking about him so much, I need to worry about myself. It's so hard to forget. If I do survive, I don't know if I'll even be able to live normally.

I started walking, again, finally. I'd walked a few miles at least with my stomach growling. How do they manage to keep these starving humans alive? Apparently, I managed to stay asleep for about seven 9's. That's awhile without food.