Chapter 3

I was left with my thoughts the rest of that day, until my mother and brothers came home. I roamed around thinking about if I should stay with my decision to switch to Dauntless. My thoughts battled with themselves. Dauntless won. Figures. They win in about everything.

"I'm home!" I heard my mother yell. Then, soon after, I heard the boys come busting through the doors. I had cooked dinner for tonight while I was thinking. My mother looked a bit surprised considering I only did this on special occasions.

"So, how was everybody's day?" My mother said, looking at me. My eyes were caught on the empty chair across from me.

Usually my father would sit there. But, he left us one day for an Amity blonde. I often thought his choices were blank. He often had no value to his choices. They were always made without thought. I was always happy that he left. I hated my father. Yes, I guess you could say I'm the perfect girl considering I have "Daddy Issues". I often thought my issues with my father were at a young age. Now that he's gone, I barely notice. I plainly don't give a shit.

"Genevieve! Answer me!" My mother yelled at me. I didn't even noticed I had spaced out. I often do this at times. It's not a good thing to be grateful for.

"My day was swell." I said back to her getting up to clean my plate. "I'm gonna go take a shower and read." I told my mother heading upstairs.

I walking into the bathroom, striping down. I walked into the shower, turning the water onto hot. I soaked my body into the steamy shower, washing my hair, and body. I thought of everything that would happen tomorrow. I thought about my test results. I thought about complicated things, as usual.

I walked out and went into my room and started reading Edgar Allan Poe. What an amazing poet he is. His poetry just hits you like a hurricane, and it makes you think. I soon passed out, the book laid beside me.

That night I had the strangest dream, that I was running. I don't know what from, just running. I looked up to see a building, a glass one; Erudite. Beside the building from Erudite was an alleyway, then next to that was Dauntless headquarters. I couldn't choose, so I went into the alleyway. I sprinted faster, then the ground was opened from underneath me. I was falling into a pit. I awoke, sweat beading down my forehead.

What the hell was that supposed to mean? Was I not supposed to go into the alley? Oh god. That was like the test all over again. And what the hell was I running from?

I got dressed in a blue skin tight dress, the usual colors, but holy hell did I hate dresses. I walked out to get some breakfast before we left. Everyone was silent except for the occasional chews of mouths, here and there. We walked out and took my mothers car down to the Choosing Ceremony. I could feel the caterpillars forming into butterflies in the pit of my stomach. I was going choose Dauntless.

But, what would happen when I did?