Bottling It Up

Matthew's POV

I'd hardly slept at all last night. I'd spent the night tossing and turning, thinking about the hundred ways I wanted to kill Jake. I was also thinking about Emily. He'd completely ruined her self-esteem, so she thought she was ugly. Utterly ridiculous that she'd believe him for a second. As though she wasn't the most beautiful girl I'd ever laid eyes upon.

I decided to pay Clara, her mother, a visit. I knew she'd be up at the crack of dawn, so I gave her a quick phone call, letting her know I was planning on coming over. Clara was like a second mother to me, and in the time the family had lived in Australia, she and my mum had become best friends. I was, therefore, surprised when she had a fit when she answered the phone. Emily obviously hadn't told her I had moved to England, and Clara was steaming that she hadn't been told. Needless to say, I was told to get my butt over there double time, or else. Well that's not quite what she said, but you get the idea.

I ran the bell as I stood on their pretty little porch, out of the howling wind and rain. Stupidly, I hadn't taken my mac, so I was just wearing my denim jacket. Not such a great move. It was now sopping wet, and the wind meant that I was absolutely freezing too. I rubbed my hands together in an attempt to warm my fingers up.

"Matthew!" Clara cried as she opened the door.

"Hi," I said, smiling as she wrapped me in a rib-cracking hug.

She ushered me in, and offered me coffee. I declined, explaining that I detested coffee, still, so she offered me tea instead. I accepted that, and Clara relaxed a little. As she moved around the kitchen, she seemed to fall deep into thought. I didn't blame her. I had no idea what I'd do if my little girl was raped by her boyfriend. It was bad enough it being Emily, whom I loved madly, but parents always said there was nothing like the love you felt for your children.

"You heard about Jake?" she asked, her tone bitter.

"Yeah, Emily told me last night. I was dreaming of all the ways I wanted to kill him. I got quite creative," I said grimly.

There was nothing funny about the situation, so Clara's laugh was humourless. I didn't blame her. She has to be under a lot of stress at the moment. What with Jake and Amy. I wondered if she'd heard anything since last night. I'd never actually met Amy, but I knew that she meant the world to Emily, and was her best friend.

"Any news on Amy?" I asked.

"No," she shook her head, "I wish there had been. Emily could really do with Amy's support right now; it'd boost her esteem back up, let me tell you. Amy's mother is getting really ill, poor lady. I really like her, and Amy, and she runs a business selling cameras. She's under stress from that, obviously, and what with Amy, she's burying herself in it. It's making her really sick," Clara said.

Emily's life was a mess. I could see that, and my heart ached to reach out and protect her, as it had last night. I wanted to wrap my arms around her, and take all the pain for her. The time she needed Amy most, she was gone, missing. I knew that I couldn't take the place of Amy, but I also knew that I had to at least try to help Emily like Amy would.

"It's a mess," I stated quietly.

"It's a mess," Clara agreed with a nod and a sigh.

The kitchen door opened, and my head snapped up to see Emily in the doorway, wearing a dark blue dressing gown and grey slippers. Her hair looked like a birds nest, and I wondered if she'd brushed it yesterday. The purple bruising under her eyes was more apparent, showing she hadn't been sleeping, and her face was blank. I watched, horrified, and she walked like a robot to the fridge, taking out the milk, grabbed a bowl and cup from the cupboard, and then the cereal.