Chapter 1 ~ The Infant

Fixed 10.10.2017 1:00am

I fixed this story drastically, please don't hate me. -Mari

Edited- 08/18/2020

Edited- 01/04/2022

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a chilling Saturday night. Weekends are barley chaotic with many complaints from other fables; Mr. Toad, mostly. Snow White, a woman with eternal beauty and high standards, has been receiving calls from whatever problem or complaint there was.

Ms. White finally had a break from paperwork and phone calls. Now standing in the elevator, she sighed softly. Her heels were giving significant discomfort that it made her shift to one side. The elevator then 'dinged,' letting her know she arrived at her designation.

All she wanted was to get to the small mail-locker and get to her room and sleep. But then, she heard a soft cry. It sounded like a baby. (A baby?) She thought. Her feet moved slowly but carefully to where the crying was coming from. Outside.

Snow opened the door, and her eyes shifted down to a small infant with a pink beanie covering her head, her fists were trembling. A little blue bunny sat at one end of the basket with its head slumped forward as if it's about to fall over. The white blanket wrapped the baby loosely. On the coverage, it was imprinted with a name in purple cursive. Y/n. A baby girl.

Complete shock overwhelmed Snow. Picking up the basket with the baby, Snow looked around to see the entrance gate opened slightly ajar. Thankfully, the security was still asleep, but how could he sleep through the crying?

With haste, Snow quickly went to the business office and placed the basket with the still crying infant on her desk. (A baby! A Mundy baby! What am I going to do?!) She looked at the phone. (Bigby!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bigby arrived at the office, shortly after. When he entered, all he saw was Snow's back facing him. "Snow?" He said as he was slowly approaching her. Snow slowly turned around with the sleeping baby in her arms. Bigby isn't expressive much in some situations but he in this, he raised both his brows.

Before he could say anything, Snow explained. "I found her outside the front entrance. The gate wasn't locked properly. I don't know if she's a Mundy or not, but-" a small cough came from the little thing in her arms.

Snow didn't bother to finish what she was saying. "Maybe Bufkin can-" Bigby was cut off by the sound of Bufkin's wings. "Oh my..." His black eyes focused on the baby. "I can go through the families in the Book of Fables," Bufkin announced. "And I'll ask the mirror," Bigby said.

Bigby, now in front of the mirror, stood and examined his tired expression in the reflection. How did this happen? This was the first time that a Mundy has stepped forth in the Woodland property. But why leave a baby in front of the door on a cold night? Who could be so careless? Bigby began to feel pity for the baby girl. He remembered how his father left his ill mother to die. To this day, he despises his father.

"Hey, mirror." His voice was rough and low. "Hello, Bigby." His reflection was replaced with a green face with a tired expression. "Is there a family with a baby named Y/n in Fabletown?" The mirror raised a non-existent brow, and then it was stern again. "You know the rules." Said the mirror. Rhyming was the last thing Bigby wanted to do. To ask the Magic Mirror a question of a person or place, you would need to rhyme. Bigby knows this but doesn't care most of the time. "I can only show the named person, place or object, Bigby. That's exactly how it has to be. If you found the name, you know where to find me." And like that, the mirror's face was gone. The problem with that is, they don't know who the parents are, let alone where Y/n came from.

If they couldn't find the family's name in the books, then they will need to call Dr. Swineheart. Bigby watched Snow rocking the infant back to sleep, but Y/n remains restless. Bigby's eyes squinted at the bundle of despair. The loud crying and Snow's attempt to calm her to no avail. He wasn't a big fan of children but if there's a child in serious situations, he won't hesitate to step forward to protect them. "Want to hold her?" His thoughts were popped by Snow's question. Him? The Big Bad Wolf? Holding a baby? "I uh- I don't think I should.." "Oh, come on. Just for a minute." Snow carefully handed the crying baby over to the astound Sheriff. Because of his size he was able to cradle her with one arm. The other moved the blanket away from Y/n's chin. Her small eyes opened a bit.

Y/n's cries had stopped. Her watery eyes peaked up to Bigby's face, trying to adjust the light. Both Snow and Bufkin watched in awe. "Hey there," Bigby spoke softly to her. "What's the problem? What's with the crying?" Y/n fixed her eyes on him and furrowed her nonexistent brows, but it wasn't because she was going to cry, it was to understand what he was saying, what was going on. "Look at that," said Snow, softy, "you're a natural."

Without Bigby realizing, he smiled a little. Y/n cooed, waving her small fist a little. Snow did call Dr. Swineheart. He called back, saying that the only thing that remains any information about the child was her birth certificate.