The finding

She had me in her grasp. I tried to scream but then realized I was still underwater. Why are you doing this? I mindspoke to her.

Hybrids and unpure like you need to be destroyed. You are poisining our race with your transformations, we will soon be exposed!

She answered.

Leea and I wouldn't expose mermaids!

I exclaimed. It's not our fault we became mermaids! You're the ones who attacked the boat!

We needed to feed!

You can just eat fish! And it was the comet that changed us!

Then the comet will be destroyed with you at the bottom of the ocean without your tail!

I panicked. She was serious. Shale was really going to take away my powers. My powers! I remembered my ability to control water.

I raised my hands and shot water as hard as I could onto the arm that was holding me. She screeched. All around me I could feel others coming.

Sadie! I could hear in my mind. I had a vision!

It was Leea. Leea stay away! I cried.

We won't make it there's too many!

We can try!

No Sadie. My visions never lie. This is the darkness. It will take us, there is no way out.

Why did you become a mermaid?

I asked one last time, hoping for a answer before they were upon me.

I was eight. My family was on their yot. A storm came and I fell of the boat. I drowned in the water. The comet flew over just as I was dying. I shouldn't have lived. And Shale thought I shouldn't have lived either.

They were almost here. Did Shale cause the storm?

Yes. Leea replied. She was at my side looking into the murky water.

She pointed ahead and they all came at once. Hundreds all around us. I raised my hands and created a barrier around us. They broke through in seconds. Their teeth sharp as daggers dragging us down to our deaths.

Goodbye Sadie.

Bye Leea.

I said back. Then I remembered. August 20th. It was my birthday. I was 13. A 13 year old mermaid.