Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

“What the hell was that about?” I asked still very confused

“I have no idea” La said as we were walking back to our lockers.

“I still want to know what happened between you and Matt” Ell said clearly not caring about May.

“Ok, so…”I told them the full story and they loved it. I didn’t feel right though because May wasn’t here.

***

The whole Maccie thing had been bugging me all day. Clearly I was easy to read because as I walked home holding Matt’s hand he turned to me and asked

“What’s up?”

“It's nothing,” I said trying to make my voice sound normal and put a smile on my face. It clearly didn’t work!

“From experience that look usually means trouble with friends or boys” he said putting is arm protectively over my shoulder “now I hope it isn’t boy trouble because I thought this was going pretty good. So that just leaves friends”

“Wow, your good” I said giving a genuine smile “it’s just May was being, umm, weird today”

“Don’t worry about it baby, it will all be fine, how could anyone stay mad at you?” he asked pulling my chin up so he could kiss me.

I hope he was right it was killing me; I hadn’t seen or spoken to her for the rest of the day.

Rather than walking straight home we took a detour to a local park. We sat on the swings and for those five seconds I was in the air I felt like nothing could touch me, I was invincible on cloud nine. But then just like reality the ground became closer and my problems came rushing back to me.

***

“Matt are you staying for dinner?” mum yelled to us from down stairs. This was our queue to go down. I was reluctant to get up but I knew that if we didn’t go down she would come up.

“I would love to but my mum is expecting me home, thanks for the offer,” he sounded so polite and formal.

“You are welcome anytime you know that,”

I walked towards the door holding his hand. I turned to face him pulling his body close to mine. Our lips meet and again all my troubles slipped away. He began to pull away but I just didn’t want to let him go. He finally managed to pull his lips free of mine.

“I have to go,” he whispered.

“Please don’t,” I begged pulling him into a hug.

“I’m sorry but I will pick you up in the morning.”

His words comforted me so I let him go.

***

I logged on to my computer and a bubble popped up to tell me that Maccie was on her IM service.

Hey May- me

As soon as I sent it she logged off, how strange

***

Mitch

I heard the door open

“I’m home,” it was Matt’s voice. He walked through to where we all were in the lounge room.

“Sorry I’m late, I got caught up”

“Where were you darling?” mum asked.

“At summer’s,” he said sounding smug.

That made my blood boil, I couldn’t even beer to stay in the same room as him knowing that she had chosen him over me. What the hell was I meant to do without her in my life? I couldn’t breathe I couldn’t sleep; I can’t live without her standing at my side.