Chapter 13 Illusion

Annabeth's P.O.V

The wind furiously blew as leaves were swished in the cold thin air. The sky were secluded by clouds; a sign that it's going to rain any time soon. I inhale the cold breeze and wrap both of my arms around me.I felt the urge to stand up but somehow I find myself glued in the exact position where I am now. It's strange how I get this unfamiliar comfort associated by the wind; I don't know for a second why though but it made me feel again.

I watched silently and stared at the light blue lake infront of me. My eyes land on a figure and that's enough to leave me breathless. In an abrupt second, it felt like my heart stopped beating. My legs turn wobbly and felt like it can no longer support me; so does my brain who can't take it all in.

In the middle of the lake was a man; who's drowning. He flailed his arms around, screaming for help. I took a deep breathe and shut my eyes for a second. My greatest fear was right in front of me and I don't know wether if I should let it take over me or help the man who's in need for help. Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice screamed for help, for my name...

"ANNABETH!" He shouted.

I opened my eyes and take a closer look at the man. It was the man who once saved me...it was my Dad. But how could it possibly be? I mean, Dad left us a long time ago? Eliminating the thought, I settled to help him. I dived in, and it felt like pine needles were pricking through my skin. My body shuddered; and I felt the difficulty to move. I let myself cool down for a few seconds and after being immune to the coldness I paddled near him. By now, his body is below the water, with his mouth just above the surface. I approached him from behind and place my arms under his.

Suddenly, the rain heavily poured. Droplets of rain fell on my eyes; making my vision blurry and unclear. I kicked both of my feet up to create some force but it was just useless. The rain continuously poured down; the lake getting deeper and deeper. I gasp for breathe as the water went up to my nostrils. I saw Dad got up in the water without difficulty; laughing, he walked away, leaving me all by myself. I heard someone called out for my name but I was too weak to respond; his voice repeatedly echo through my ears until everything went dark and pitch black.

*****
I squint my eyes as I saw the dim of light shine through me. Right after I opened my eyes, I noticed two brown eyes staring right through me. It was Jane. Her face had an indescribable expression; a mixed of worry and fear.

Immediately, she threw her arms around me; which caught me off guard.

"A-are you okay? Were you hurt?"

I nodded. "I'm fine,"

Suddenly, Percy came along with the others, balancing the pile food and paper bags he's holding in just two hands. I laughed at the thought. I barely can't even see his face.

"Oi, here's your flowers lover boy," Clarisse putting the bouquet of flowers on the top pile of the paper bags.

"Wha- Hey!"

"You're welcome," Clarisse messing Percy's hair.

Everybody laughed whilst heading off.

Groaning, Percy put the bags and food down. "Feeling better?"

"Y-yeah... Thanks for these," I said, pointing at the things he bought.

"Oh, that?" Percy chuckled. "No biggy,"

"Today has been a strange day..." I sighed, fiddling with my hands.

"Hm, how come you say so?"

"I saw Dad...At the lake, he was drowning. So I tried to save him but I can't. And then next thing I knew he left me..."

"But isn't he de-"