Chapter 36

Turns out the nearest town wasn't that far away. Thank goodness, because I wasn't going to walk a long ways just to ride another sickening bus. We bought another ticket that would get us halfway there, then decided to do something sorta special for supper. The lady Haydn stole the money from was evidentally loaded, thank mushrooms. Haydn let me choose where we should go to eat. The bus left in thirty minutes, so we needed something that wouldn't take too long.

Suddenly, something caught my eye, and I could almost hear heavenly angel music playing as I stared, hypnotized by the beauty of...

"McDonalds..." I whispered, feeling as if all my dreams had come true, and the 110 degree heat and the 400 mile walk had been worth it.

"Like, you know, we could go to that little deli over there, or that bakery, or... Wait, what?"

I grabbed his hand and pulled him across the street. "We're going to McDonalds."

"But I thought you...OK."

Ten minutes later we were sitting on comfy red booth inside an air conditioned McDonalds, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

"It's been way too long since we last met," I whispered seductively to my Big Mac.

Haydn raised a concerned eyebrow. "Are you seriously talking to your sandwich?"

"Hush child, you're ruining the moment." I liked my lips and wiggled my eyebrows. I glanced back at the Big Mac. "Now darling, where did we start?"

Haydn shook his head, probably awed at my sexy ways, and crunched on a french fry. "I think the heat's getting to you, messing with your brain and everything."

I smirked. "Oh, the heat IS getting to me." I picked up my soda and played with the straw with my tongue.

Haydn started laughing hysterically, then realized what I was actually implying and immediately turned serious. I winked at him and flicked my tongue, and he suddenly decided it was time to go to the bus station. I picked up my burger and, with a longing, drawn-out sigh, stuffed in the remaining half in my mouth before throwing away the paper thing.

"We'll have to do that again soon," I mumbled to my wrapper, laying among used straws, dirty napkins, and empty ketchup packets.

Haydn grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the restaurant.

***

"Wow, I am so loving this bus." I leaned back and closed my eyes. The bus driver was amazing and the road was so much improved, I was actually enjoying myself. I looked over at Haydn. He smiled at me and started playing thumb wars with himself. I glanced out the window, watching the trees fly past. We had been on the bus for about an hour. We would be getting off soon. The sun was setting, shooting streaks of gold and pink across the sky. I looked around and people watched, something I enjoyed. Surprising, because I really didn't enjoy being around people all that much.

A worn out mother was struggling with a two year old girl. The toddler was screaming and wanting to run all over the place, and the mom was trying everything in her power to make the kid shut up and sit down.

A teenage couple were holding hands. The girl's hair was dyed an unaturally bright red, and when she turned around to see why the two year old was crying I saw piercings in her lips, nose, ears, and eyebrows. I didn't see the guy's face, but his hair was black with a blue streak.

I glanced behind me and saw a little old man, alone, reading sudoku. His hair was all white, and he had large round glasses. He looked familiar for some reason, but I couldn't put my finger on it. My grandparents on both sides of the family were dead, so that was out. He didn't look like any of my friends' grandpa, so that couldn't be it. When he looked up at me, I blushed, realizing I had been staring.