How to become friends with people who might/will betray you

Chapter 5-

I chatted with them for a bit longer (well, more like I screamed, Timothy explained and Laura put in 'helpful' comments when she felt like it). Because of how boring and longwinded it was, I have created a chart going over everything that was said.

1- Demons want to kill me and my sister, for some unknown reason.

2- Laura is an Earth mage, while Timothy controls Ice and Water. This is NOT important information.

3- Carter has blond hair, blue eyes, an arrogant grin (like all the other boys I know), always carries a weapon on him, usually a sword and is deadly. DO NOT APPROACH!

4- There are rumors Arex isn't a demon. My question: Then why does he want us gone?

5- Carter was one of the leading people in the James North mystery. (No, I do not know what that is, but it sounds cool, no?)

6- We. Are. Doomed. VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

'Well,' said Timothy, 'best be going now.'.

'But what about everyone here?' I asked. 'They're all frozen!'.

'Don't worry about that.' Laura answered. 'We'll clear that up. Sadly, you'd have missed about...' she checked her watch 'an hour of school'.

'What's bad about that?' I asked.

Timothy answered 'You'll get more homework.'.

Then they disappeared.

I groaned. 'Can they please stop doing that?'.

'Doing what?' I heard my sister say.

I turned around, and there she was, with all her friends, present and un-frozen.

'Oh, nothing.' I sat down next to them. 'So, what's happening?'.

School ended relatively quickly. Sadly, like Laura and Timothy said, there was more then the average home-work load. Apparently, Tina was invited to a party with some of her friends. I, sadly, did not get an invite. 'Doesn't matter!' Tina said. 'You can be a plus one!'.

'Er... Where in the invite does it say plus ones are allowed?' I asked.

'Where does it say they aren't?'. She asked.

'Right there.' I pointed to the bottom of the invite, where it said, in bold, 'plus ones are not allowed'.

'C'mon, we can sneak you in!'.

'Nah, I'm okay. I might just invite Anjie over.'.

'Well, okay. If you're sure.'.

And so we parted ways, for the rest of the day.

I got home in a few minutes. There was a message on the table from mum.

'Sorry, Tina and Soph! Me and Dad are busy tonight. Will be back by 10:00. Have fun! I've ordered dinner.'.

I saw the pizza boxes on the table. I picked up one of them, sat on the couch and picked up the phone to call Anjie. I was on dial tone for about half a minute before someone picked up. 'Hello Mrs Saren' I said. 'Is Anjie in? I was wondering if she wanted to come over.'.

'I'm sorry Sophia. She's unwell today. Shes caught that disease. You know, the one that's been all over the news.'.

So, apparently mum's tv show wasn't lying after all. 'Oh, okay. Bye.' I said. And hung up.

This was going to be a looooong night.

It was about seven o'clock when the doorbell rang. I'd rented out The Hunger Games from a video hire store down the street, and was watching it while stuffing myself with pizza. I got up to open the door, then paused. What if it was Arex? Or Carter? Or someone else? I sat back down on the couch.

'Any one home? Sophia?' I heard the person at the door say. I didn't recognise the voice, so how did it know who I was?

'What's it to you?' I asked back. Bravery is an asset, isn't it?

'I'm a friend of Laura's. She asked me to come. Now will you PLEASE open the door? It's freezing out here.'.

'How can I trust you?'. Sophia Dec'Arden. Gold medal winner at the olympics for the defiant.

'You can't. Just open the stupid door!'.

'Okay, okay. Sheesh!'. I walked over and opened the door. The man walked in. He had blue eyes and blond hair like Carter's, but he was missing the grin and the sword. Plus, if he was Carter, I would've be dead by then.

'Nice place.' he said. Sarcasm, obviously. The couch was littered with pieces of pizza boxes, from where I had tried to make a pizza box hanging decoration. It was a spectacular fail. The floor was covered in dirty clothes from where I had tried (unsucessfully) to do the laundry. And I had a case of couch hair, which is a bit like bed head, but less severe.

'Look, not that I don't want you here, but why are you here? And who are you?' I asked.

He turned around to speak to me. 'My name? Thats a bit difficult. Just call me C for the time being. And why I came here? You need to be taught to fight if you're gonna survive both Arex and Cre....Carter coming after you.'. I decided not to ask about the person whose name he was about to say.

'So, what are we waiting for?'.

'Nothing.' He replied. 'Let's get going.'. And was it just me, or did he start grinning like a maniac when he said those words? I ignored it, and followed him into the car. Stupid, stupid me.