Chapter Three

Chapter three

I embraced the warmth radiating off Peeta, I absorbed his soft snores exiting his mouth. I never wanted to move from this spot. He was my rock and I couldn't let him go. Not now, Not ever.

"Mm... Katniss." He breathed in his sleep. "No! No! Katniss! Move!" His breathing became rapid. I began to rapidly shake him.

"Peeta! Peeta Wake up!" I screamed at him inches away from his face.

"AHHHHHH!" He screamed shooting up in the bed with me sill straddling him.

"It's okay. You're safe." I whispered caressing his face with my hands.

"I'm sorry." He whimpered. I felt my heart go out for him, he sounded so weak . I wanted him to be safe. I never wanted this to happen. I wanted to have him in my arms and feel safe in those like in the cave.

"It's okay, I'm just glad you're not hurt." I smiled. He smiled back. Unintentionally we both started to lean in. I wanted to feel his lips once more, even if its my last time that I ever see him again.

We were so close that our breathes were colliding.

"Katniss!" I heard a shout that made me and Peeta to jump away from each other.

"Yeah Prim?" I shouted. I was annoyed that she interrupted us just moments before we kissed. I was Pissed to say the least.

"Is Peeta awake?" She shouted back. It sounded as if she was down stairs.

"Yeah, he just woke up." I replied laying my head on Peeta's chest not even trying to move from straddling his waist.

Prim walked in and saw our position.

"Sorry to interrupt you guys but I need to give Peeta another shot." She explained.

"Does that mean I have to move?" I asked pouting at her my head still on his chest.

"No you can stay there don't worry, I just need his leg." She pulled the covers back and lifted up the cotton pyjama pants he was wearing. I saw his fake leg for the first time and it Made me want to puke. "Okay Peeta, This might hurt but if you stay still it will hurt less." He nodded.

Prim injected it into his leg and I was watching Peeta's face and saw it change his facial features from soft to twisted in pain. After a few minutes she took the needle out and wiped disinfectant onto it before wiping it a little and leaving the room without a word.

"So what actually happened to me?" He asked after a few seconds of comfortable silence.

"Um.. Well Gale showed up and told me he like me," Peeta's face showed hurt and jealousy. I smiled at the thought of him being jealous of a guy talking to me even though we are not together. "And he started to kiss me and feel me up, I tried to get away because I wasn't ready for that and you showed up and he caught you off guard because of your leg and hit your head hard on the floor." I explained.

"Wait, why didn't you want him to kiss you?" He asked. I knew that he had heard all the rumours around the school about me and Gale getting it on.

"Because I don't like him like that. He is like my brother nothing more nothing less. I promise." I told him. I saw his eyes light up.

"Okay thank you Katniss." He thanked me, for what I do not know. I love him and I don't want him to leave me alone even though I have prim and my mother, I don't want Peeta to leave I could tell him things that no one else would understand. He can help with the nightmares because he was there and experienced it with me.

He gave me a tight squeeze, i could smell his scent and inhaled it deeply.

"I love you." He whispered. I pretended not to hear it and keep my head on his chest. I knew that I loved him, I just couldn't say it because of what I've seen love do to families. It broke my mother and I don't think I could go through with that and with my children going into the games.

I thought it, I just didn't say it.