Chapter 9: Could You NOT?!

Sara's P.O.V:

----------------

We spent the rest of the day doing nothing in specific, just watching TV and sassing each others to death so it pretty much felt like just hanging out with one of my friends, but this one was a male and I've always had this policy that males are not to get too close to; they are just to be admired from afar and giggle with your girlfriends about_yeah it's a pretty contradicting policy_but it worked just fine for me. I've never got too involved with a boy so much as if to let him hurt me, I've always had my defenses up, but something about him especially seemed to make my defenses-control-system go haywire.

As these thoughts ran around my head, my brain made some occasional bitchy comments as 'you've always said that if a guy made you laugh from the heart then it's sold' and he did make me laugh and I knew he could anytime he wants to or feels like it even if I don't feel like it! 'you've been always a softie for fair boys with cool haircuts' even tho it's witty it was true_and he had magnificent hair_but I kept going through my standards list trying to point out things he didn't have but every time I went through it 98% were a 'check' the other 2% are things I didn't even know about 'ask him!' my brain urged me but I was too scared to. I wasn't even sure if I was scared that it wouldn't be a 'check' or if it is going to be a 'check' either ways it was a loose-loose situation; but I did feel a great amount of curiosity about if he was a book geek or a '2 kool 4 skool' kinda guy cause that one would be a fatal blow and would ruin all the standards I've set and he checked in almost every single one of it.

I braced myself and asked "Hey what do you feel about books?" his eyebrows shot up and said with huge conviction "I LOVE books! at first I used it to expand my vocab for the rap I write but then....it just sorta slowly consumed me and started sucking out my soul" he said it exaggerating like a true reader would put it and added "I fell in love with books ever since"_Holly shit_Perfect, he is now the perfect package! could shit get any harder for me? I tried to out-match him and prove that he's not really that much of a reader and put in a book quote "yeah I experienced that myself, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once" and I waited for him to just nod or don't recognize the quote but I was hugely disappointed as he smiled and said "The Fault in Our Stars, John Green" and I cursed like a sailor in my head but returned the smile outside, "looks like someone had done their homework pretty well" he snorted and said "oh please if reading was a homework I wouldn't have been a reader in the first place!" I laughed along and replied "Good that!"  then added "so what's your favorite book/book series?" he didn't seemed to think long before answering "that would be James Dashner's trilogy The Maze Runner" he said, I gasped as a newly formed respect built up inside of me towards him "OMG YOU'RE A RUNNER?!" he smiled proudly as he said "shuck yeah I am!" and a joke came up to me. I laughed at my own joke and said it aloud "well you shouldn't cause all gladers eventually end up as dead or crazy zombies" and I laughed meanly at his pained expression as he said "well that was just simply uncalled for" and I put a hand on his shoulder not wiping the grin off my face and said "I'm sorry but it's just the truth, I'm still not over Newt's death till now btw" he got fan-girl-emotional and said "well I'm not over Teresa's death either!" and I retrieved my my hand away quickly as I said outraged "you liked that bitch?!" he got now defensive and said "Tersa was NOT a bitch! she did all that shit to save Thomas' life!" and I knew what this situation was: a fandom Tumbler brawl.

I got slightly excited cause I love proving a point to people and I've never not loved a good argument, "did she have to knock him on the head every 5 freaking minutes to remind him that he's being betrayed? or make out with Aris for like a couple of hundred times in front of him? I think one time would be more than enough in my opinion" he seemed to like arguments as well and hadn't got one recessive bone in him as he replied "at least she was faking it not like your friend Thomas which a couple hours later after his life-long best friend and love died went around kissing some girl he only knew for a couple of weeks!" and that was a good point. Thomas was a big dick for doing that, but I wasn't gonna loose the argument "I understood Thomas' feeling, they were just never gonna be the same after what she'd done even, I as a reader wasn't able to love her the same like I did anymore!" something in his face changed and what he said next gave me a feeling that it wasn't about the books anymore "So you're saying it's completely okay for someone to forget and move on from someone who you'd once loved and was very close with?" it was as if an accusation of me for not being faithful and I found myself being defensive of that as if I'm 'begging' him to believe that I'm not a backstabbing traitor "What?! No of course not! betrayal has never been 'okay' with me!" he still didn't look convinced and said "then why are you sticking up to Thomas and his actions?" I thought that now would be a right time to loose the argument, and I can't believe that I even thought that "I've never said that what he had done was appropriate! All I said that I liked Brenda more than Teresa, and that's got nothing to do with defying what I am" I paused a bit then added "I'm fidelis ad mortem" and he blinked at me confused and said "what does that mean and in what language was it? goblins?!" I gave up a chuckle and said "no that's Latin, and it means 'faithful unto death' " and he nodded slowly and seemed to get a bit at ease like he finally believed me and I was put at ease myself but then I got mad at myself for being at ease_why the hell do I care what he thinks of me?_but my thoughts were interrupted by him sitting up jolt in his place wide eyed as he exclaimed "you speak LATIN?!" so I grinned and replied "yeah I know a few good terms and I know a bit of ancient Greek too" I said proudly and he gaped and shook his head later "I do not want to ask how or where did you learn it from" I answered him saying "already had enough with the mind-blowing habit of mine?" I sounded cheeky and cocky_exactly as I wanted_he nodded laughing "you could say that" I faked a pout and said "well that's a bummer! I still had a few tricks up my sleeve" he looked at me in a funny way that gave me butterflies 'are you a freaking retard? does he has to put a heart-eyed emotion on his face so you'd know he's looking at you with affection?!' my brain literally almost screamed at me but I was interrupted by him replying "yeah I'm pretty sure you do"........