seventeen

Seventeen | J E S S E

We talked all night.

We talked about my family, about school and so many things that I lost count. I got to know a little more about him, that he had seven other brothers (which was funny) and that he was living a life I wouldn't expect him to be living.

Even though I was skeptical at first, I trusted him thus didn't ask more than what he told me while I told him everything about myself. How I caught my dad cheating and told my mom; everything.

He also told me about Finn, and how Finn called him which I found really odd because I never gave Finn his number. Nevertheless, I told him that it was alright and that I'd talk to my best friend.

Thinking about it now, I never really got to know his name. Thinking about it, he never told me either. However, somehow I trusted him. I just did.

"My parents got a divorce just two months before your sudden text message. It was right after Finn left when I found my dad coming home as late at four in the morning and he wouldn't tell me why.

Things started getting worst. Mom and dad would bicker in the middle of the night while it could even hear the sound of shattering glass sometimes. It was scary. I was terrified.

He started leaving home every two to three days, coming back only a week or two later. I then suspected- an affair. It wasn't hard to see so I discussed it with my mom, but she wasn't ready for the news. She went into denial."

His breath was cut as I could finally hear him breath out when I stopped my story-telling. He then said a few words to make sure I was okay. I was, because I was with him.

"My dad finally left after five months of his affair, asking my mom for a divorce. My mom totally just shut herself out then- going to clubs and coming home drunk. She'd hit me sometimes or verbally abuse me another.

But I took it all in, and thought maybe it was my fault. Maybe, if I hadn't told mom about she wouldn't have gone into denial and she wouldn't have blamed me for this. I was the cause for this consequence, for my own consequence."

By the time I ended my monologue, I was already sobbing once again. He was there, on the other line, coaxing me and making sure I didn't hurt myself or whatsoever. I was thankful, because he was there.

Because he will be there when I need him.

A clank on the whiteboard drew me out my thoughts.

"Ms Drews! Can you please tell us the answer for this problem unless, you haven't been paying much attention." The teacher's voice called out as I snapped back into reality. Students were whispering to their friends while some chuckled, glad that I have landed myself in this situation.

Looking at it bored, I stifled a yawn. "x equals to twenty-four."

Looks of surprise and shock filled the my teacher's expression while he muttered a small, "and that is correct." while the others simply growled at me in anger.

Well, at least I didn't have a brain for nothing, and a fast one at that. I smiled smugly knowing that even though I'm at my worst right now, I still have someone with me. He wasn't physically here, but I know it was okay. Because he was there;

Because he will always be there.