Chapter 3

Snow & Melody's Emotional Talk... & Regina

Being raised on a pirate ship surrounded by only men doesn't exactly teach someone great morals. For as long as Melody could remember, all she knew was that the sea was her friend, honor among thieves, and that you have to carry a knife at all times because men are scum.

Melody didn't know much about her mother. Killian refused to speak of her. He only told her that she wasn't alive anymore and left it at that. The young pirate knew better than to question her captain more.

"Mel? You okay?"

Melody snapped out of her thoughts and looked up to see Snow's gaze down upon her. Melody nodded before turning back to the bowl of oatmeal she had been staring at. Mel wasn't very fond of oatmeal and constantly picked at it until Snow noticed. Snow sighed and took her bowl away.

"I'll make you some scrambled eggs and toast," she said. Melody smiled happily as Snow pulled out a pan.

Melody lived with Rumple, just as she did during the cursed years. Although Hook would've preferred she live with him, the captain did admit the Jolly Roger was no longer suited for Melody to stay on. But she never really spent much time at the mansion. Melody usually felt lonely in that giant house.

"Here you go, sweetie," Snow said as she placed a new plate of food before her. Melody smiled highly before dipping her fork in. Snow watched her carefully. She sighed and sipped some of her coffee.

"Something is bothering you," she stated plainly. Melody scrunched her nose. She looked up to Snow who only gave her a stern look back. Melody took a deep breath before scowling.

"I don't want to go back to school."

"That is not what is bothering you and you know it. You can't trick me," Snow said. Melody rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"Fine... I was thinking I should leave town for a bit. Try exploring the world."

Snow stayed silent for a moment processing Melody's words. She finally cleared her throat once before speaking.

"Why?"

"You don't understand..."

"Try me."

Melody frowned and scoffed again. She truly was in no mood to talk about her feelings and troubles. But knowing Snow and her persistent ways, Mel knew she wouldn't be able to escape without a talk.

"I did a horrible thing and must pay the price for it. I helped the person who was trying to kill your grandson and almost killed my own father in the process," Melody flinched when she remembered just out of her mind she was then she was on Neverland. She didn't understand what it was about that place that made her incredibly easy to manipulate.

"Melody, it wasn't your fault what happened. Something corrupted your mind and you weren't yourself. We can't blame you for something that you did when you weren't in control of your own actions," Snow took a sip of her drink before continuing, "Your whole mind was blinded by something that you thought was affection. Everyone deserves a second chance. I don't blame you. Nobody does."

Melody rolled her eyes before stabbing her eggs.

"Regina does."

"Well, Regina needs to take it down a notch. She herself has made many mistakes. She didn't need one, but we gave her a chance. She is making the best out of it and you should do the same, Melody. If you don't learn to forgive your past, how will you move on with your future?"

Melody stayed silent. Snow's words were sinking in and Snow knew it was her way of saying thank you. Melody wasn't one to speak her emotions unless they were negative ones.

"Come on, Mel, if you don't hurry, you're going to be late for school," Snow finally said as she took away Melody's empty plate.

The young girl stood to her feet and sighed. She wasn't sure why she still needed to go to school when she only needed one more year but since Henry still went to school, Hook and Rumple insisted she does the same.

Melody smoothed out her school uniform before turning and allowing Snow to brush her have and throw it into braids. When she was done, Emma walked into the loft, her sheriff badge shiny on her belt.

"Ready for school?" She asked and Melody nodded. Mel waved goodbye to Snow and followed the blonde out the door.

"Where's David?" Melody asked as they walked down the sidewalk to Granny's Diner.

"He left early to the station," she replied. Melody hummed in response before sighing.

"After school, can you take me to see my dad?" She asked while picking some dead skin off her nails.

Mel wasn't allowed to go anywhere alone. Her dads had decided that after her little adventure in Neverland. They insisted it was for her own safety but Melody knew better. They just wanted to make sure she didn't run off.

"Of course I can, Melody," Emma said and Melody was pleased. They finally arrived at the front of the diner and Mel could see Regina and Henry waiting there as well for the school bus.

Henry spotted them first and grinned widely at his mom and the young pirate.

"Good morning, Melody!" Henry greeted. He gave Emma a hug while Mel stood awkwardly to the sides.

"Morning to you too, Henry," she replied. Without even looking, Melody knew Regina was glaring at her.

Melody cleared her throat and wished the school bus would hurry. She didn't feel comfortable being around Regina and if Melody had a choice, she would never interact with the mayor.

When the school bus did appear, Melody didn't waste a single second before climbing onto the bus. She sat at a window seat and waited for Henry to say goodbye to his parents before he also joined her. Mel waved at Emma as the bus took off.

And another day of school began.

Emma watched as the bus left and then turned to Regina with an annoyed glare.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Emma snapped and crossed her arms. Regina feigned an innocent look.

"What?"

"At least pretend to tolerate Melody," Emma said. Regina only scoffed.

"And exactly why do you think I should be nice to someone who hasn't brought any good into my life but instead has managed to almost kill my son?"

"She made some mistakes. So have you. Learn to be nice."

"She doesn't deserve it."

Emma rolled her eyes.

"Well then, tell me when will she earn your trust?"

"Trust isn't made in a day. It takes time to build and yet just seconds to destroy. And Melody made it happen in the worst possible way," Regina turned to glare at the Savior one last time, "And there is nothing in the world she can say or do to make me forgive her."