Now or never

I am finally gazing into the eyes of the person that I love.

I'm awake. And I'm living.

"Hi." I feebly whisper quietly.

My voice works. My legs work. My arms work. I could just burst into tears of happiness.

The doctors are staring at me with stunned expressions, and I can tell that they are lost for words.

The room is quiet.

Everybody either has happiness or shock written on their faces. Jack's is just a pure smile.

"A fighter like you never gives up." Jack brakes the ice and I can see the tears stinging in his eyes.

Suddenly, everybody I've ever known comes bounding through the doors. They all crowd around my bed and the room is automatically filled with talking and laughter.

I scan the room and smile at the people I love, all here and ready to support me.

I fix my smile on Jack, and time seems to stop as he smiles back. But we are interrupted all but too soon as the doctor from before  comes and takes Jack by the arm. He leads him over to the corner of the room and I watch them whisper quietly to each other. But my view of them is blocked as a crowd of people walk towards me, all talking  at once.

I am beginning to get a headache.

My gaze wanders over to the plump, rosy cheeked nurse who is slowly strolling over to the bed. The room becomes quiet as all eyes are fixed on her serious expression.

"Miss Ross. Not that I am not overjoyed at this glorious turn of events, but I am afraid that you are still in need of immediate attention in theatre right away." She stands still and waits for my response.

The room remains silent, as not one word is spoken. I am lost and do not know what to say.

Suddenly, Jack reappears and comes to my rescue. I can always count on him to help me out of jams. But instead of addressing the nurse, he speaks to me.

"Lily, I have spoken to the doctor, and I'm afraid that they are right. You need surgery right now." He speaks softly and places his hand on my forehead.

What? He is supposed to help me.

"No, I don't. I'm fine now, there is nothing wrong with me. Look at me, I'm.."

I never finished my protest.

I am plunging into darkness, and the world around me makes me feel dizzy. I forget about what I was worrying about before. The only thing I am thinking about is the pain that is gushing through my body.  My head is exploding, and I am being engulfed by the constant agony torturing my body. I hear distant cries of distress, but they are soon gone.

Darkness.