Chapter 12

Jessie's POV The Next Day
-/-/-
"So what's the surprise?" I said to Rhett who was covering my eyes as he led me into the hotel room after dinner.

"Well, if we're gonna go out together, you've got to look great. He said uncovering my eyes.

There, on the bed, was the one outfit that I had always dreamed of having for the past few years.

It was perfect. A grey, short dress with black leggings and boots. An amazing snow dress.

I got ready and Rhett cut me off in front of me to exit the door, but he opened it and we both exited and walked down the street in the snow.

It was freezing cold. I checked my phone through the falling snowflakes. It was 28•F. Below freezing.
-/-/-
Rhett's POV
-/-/-
I held Jessie's had as we walked down the sidewalk in the falling snow.

She was freezing, I could tell.

"Rhett, I forgot my jacket at the hotel room, can we go back and get it?" she asked.

"Here babe, take mine." I said taking off my jacket and wrapping it around her arms.

She look into my eyes and smiled, "thanks" was what she said. I guess that could suffice.

We walked into a small coffee shop that Jessie pointed out; it looked pretty good, so why not?

Jessie ordered a medium hot chocolate with dark chocolate and I ordered a large, caramel mocha. It wasn't the 'manliest' drink ever, but it was good so I ordered it.

We walked out with our drinks, and talked about where to go.

"I think we should go to the ToysRus
in Times Square, and but each of the kids something they'd like, just to get them a little something for Christmas."

We walked into the ToysRus. It was huge. There was a little kid toy section, girl toys, boy toys, electronics, and in the middle of it all: a small train and a small horizontal Ferris wheel.

What had we gotten ourselves into?
-/-/-
Jessie's POV
-/-/-
After we finished shopping, Rhett brought us to our final stop: it was the new Empire State Building.

I looked up the building. 1,250 feet of patriotism.

We walked over to the museum, and there was the staircase that let many people and firefighters live.

This was beautiful.

We walked outside in the now sleeting weather, and there was the endless pool. And next to all of that, was the memorial board of all the people that died.

I looked down the list, and there his name was.
-/-/-
Normal POV
-/-/-
Jessie found the name: Braeden Lane. Her older brother.
/-/--
Rhett's POV
-/-/-
Jessie's eyes filled with water, and she looked at me, "that was my brother. We would spend every day when I was like 6 at the pond, catching frogs and playing in the mud." She said crying.

I remember that day.
-/-/-
Flashback
-/-/-
Jessie and I sat on the couch, newly married, and suddenly, breaking news came onto the TV.

"We have news that a plane has just hit... No! two planes have just hit both of the twin towers. Everyone is asked to evacuate."

Jessie instantly broke down in tears. Her brother worked in the higher floor of the tower, and he was now dead.

I tried to comfort her, but she actually came through on her own.
-/-/-
Present day Rhett's POV
-/-/-
I held Jessie close and she cried. She had every right to. Her only brother had died in a horrible tragedy.

They couldn't even have a funeral, because his body was never found.

"Jessie, just remember that he's in a better place now.." I said trying to make we feel better.

She slowly stopped crying and kept walking. I knew she still wanted to cry more, but she was trying to be strong.

And she was doing a pretty good job.

She had been through so much, words couldn't even describe how brave she was.

When she was 13, her mom died, and her four siblings (besides Braeden) were all at least six years behind her, so she had to become the mother figure of the group.

Behind all the stuff going on at school.

This is why I married her.
-/-/-
A/n: Enjoy!!!