Liam Imagine.

Another one bites the dust, Y/N thought to herself, staring down at her poorly written English test. She frowned at the page and its almost blank contents, wondering if she should even bother handing in this half-assed attempt or just hand it in blank. It wouldn’t matter, surely, a few questions with angry scribbles of nonsense that she had made up in her head. Or maybe they would be the difference between a pass and a fail, who knew?

Sighing to herself, Y/N stood up slowly, trying not to screech the chair back in the silent classroom. Her feet seemed to drag as she walked up to the teacher’s desk, where Mr. Payne had been burying his nose in a book, its pages bounded by dark leather with no words on the back.

“Ahem,” she cleared her throat, hoping to catch his attention.

His head lifted slightly but he never tore his eyes from the pages of his book. “Place it on the corner of my desk, please, Ms. Y/L/N.”

She obliged, but not without throwing her teacher a darting glare for barely acknowledging her existence. She wasn’t sure if it actually nagged at her that he didn’t look at her, or if it was just because she wanted a peak at his gorgeous brown eyes.

Y/N’s cheeks flushed at her own immoral thoughts while she walked back to her seat, and she mentally slapped herself for even thinking about her teacher’s eyes. But she couldn’t help it; her crush had been intensifying lately. Perhaps it was his hair, the way it had been growing in perfectly after he’d shaved it a couple months ago. Or maybe it was his mannerisms, how he pronounced every beautiful word with a to-die-for English accent. But it could have also been his charm, the way his eyes twinkled when he spoke passionately about Shakespeare and eagerly tried to get his classroom of eighteen year old students to participate, even if he wasn’t much older than them, himself. Y/N admired his love for English, even if she never bothered to try as much as he did.

The bell rang, shocking her out of her thoughts and momentarily confusing her. Right, she thought to herself, last period, finally time to go home. She gathered her books and hurried to leave the classroom, avoiding Mr. Payne’s desk and taking the longer route around some desks.

“Y/N?” His voice was quiet enough for only her to hear while the rest of the students left the room.

Her heart pounded. This had to be about the test, most definitely. Maybe he had taken a look at it, noticed it was practically blank, and wanted to fail her immediately. Oh no, she wouldn’t even graduate.

She turned on her spot in the doorway and faced her teacher. There they were, those adorable eyes she had so hoped to see earlier, staring at her with an expression of worriment.

“Y/N, I haven’t started marking the tests yet but I noticed that yours was quite… bare,” he smiled sympathetically, cocking his head. “Did you need help? I could tutor you a bit, and then you could retake the test.”

She stared at him, dubious. Was he really offering to just spend his free time helping her with Macbeth quotes and poetry terms? She knew he was nice, helpful and definitely enthusiastic, but it was a unit test that had been planned for a couple weeks. Why wasn’t he disciplining her?

“That’s really generous of you, Mr. Payne,” she started, “but um… Well, shouldn’t you be upset with me? After all we did have like two weeks to study.”

He raised his eyebrows and leaned back in his chair. “Well, clearly you’re aware of your own lack of integrity, Y/N,”

Her insides stirred every time he said her name, and she willed him to stop. Mentally, of course. “I am, sir,” she said.

Mr. Payne stared at her and she wondered what he was thinking. “Normally I would have just given you a zero, but I know English isn’t your strongest suit and you are graduating soon. I think it’d be a shame to fail your senior year over something as incredulous as apathy, don’t you think?”