Chapter 16

There it was before my eyes, my inevitable fate. In one hour, one day, one week maybe, I would be that girl breaking down in tears and begging when he would tell me that he has found a new exciting puppet to play with and that my services are no longer required. No way will I ever give him that satisfaction! I'll never let myself become one of them.

I rushed to the bedroom, swallowing back my tears and got dressed, except for my panties; they were too much of a mess, so I decided to leave them for him to put in his collection. No doubt that he has one. I was fastening the last button of my shirt when he came through the door with a wide smile on his face. God, he was handsome, shirtless and barefoot in his old ripened jeans. Everything female inside me came to attention. No wonder he made them all weep. I felt like weeping as well. Fuck no! As soon as he saw me fully clothed, his smile faded and his brows knitted together. I braced myself for the confrontation.

"Where do you think you're going," he asked.

"I'm leaving, Chris, you obviously have other stuff you have to take care of."

"What? No!" In three steps, he was in front of me. "Ally, it's just a girl I saw a couple of times, it has nothing to do with you and me," he said, raising his hand to touch my face.

I took a step back and vowed my voice not to break.

"I don't care about her. It's Sunday, I have things to do. I can't stay here and play that game with you," I managed to say as sternly as I could.

"What game? What are you talking about?"

I glared at him. "Being this week-end's sex toy!"

"Jesus Ally, stop that bullshit," he hissed.

"Look who's calling bullshit."

"I never promised any of these girls anything! Is it my fault if they all turn out inventing a fucking fairytale that I told them will never happen in the first place?"

I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Fair enough, I won't bother you any longer."

I bolted to the door, but he seized both my shoulders in a firm grip. I tried to shrug out of it, shooting him my fiercest glare.

"Let. me. go."

"No."

"Fuck you," I shouted about three inches from his face. "What's your fucking problem with me leaving? I'm just making things easier for you. Or is it that it pisses you off because it's supposed to be the other way around? Hell will freeze before I let you humiliate me!"

A muscle twitched on his jaw and a dangerous gleam twinkled in his eyes. I could almost hear the grinding of his teeth.

"You really wanna know why I never got serious with anyone?"

"I'm dying to know."

"Cause I'm in love with you and you won't leave this place until you admit that you're in love with me."

I busted into a nervous, borderline hysterical, laughter.

"Oh, please, that's ridiculous!"

"I'm dead serious."

"There's really nothing you wouldn't do to win an argument, would you?"

"Fuck, Ally, look me in the eyes and tell me that you don't love me. Tell me that when we make love, you don't feel like you've found the other half of your soul. Tell me and I'll let you go." His voice trailed into a whisper on the last words.

I stared at him, trying so damn hard to summon the strength to tell him what he'd just asked and kill that hogwash before it was too late and I'd lost all dignity, but my heart was ripped open by what he'd just said. He knew he was right and with that realization, I couldn't sustain his gaze anymore.