Chapter 29

I slowly emerged at the sound of a harp coming from my iPhone, becoming aware that I had fallen asleep in an ocean of papers and plush white duvet. Monday Morning. Back to reality. I stopped the alarm and the text message on my lock screen made my heart swell.

'Good night, Baby. I love you X'

I rubbed my eyes and stirred like a cat.

'Good morning, Handsome. I love you too. See you soon. Xo,' I replied.

I was as excited as a kid on the first day of school. I took a warm shower and grabbed an extra proteinated breakfast to help me resist the appeal of those indecently yummy pastries we always ordered from the French bakery downstairs when we had meetings. The last thing I needed was to pack my ass with more fat, especially now that Mr Gorgeous would see me naked on a regular basis. I debated the 'no underwear' thing, but settled for my Chantelle Vendome bra and panties in passion red. It would look great with only my burgundy Loubis. Just the thought was making me feel naughty. I decided to wear my black business suit with a skinny patent leather belt matching my shoes. I kept the makeup to basics, but accented my eyes with a bit more kohl to give them a smoky, mysterious edge.

Our head office occupied the six top floors of the 46 story building that was my second home. The steel and glass tower was the epitome of contemporary design and Christopher's most celebrated realization. Every time I walked toward it reminded me of the man I loved and that morning was no exception. It was even more intense, as if the world had completely shifted on its axis during the weekend and everything had changed, but remained the same. It hit me at that moment that it was only showing one side of him; the cold, heartless, inaccessible businessman, completely different from the tender and loving man who had finally revealed himself to me. I couldn't wait to have him all for me again. All the erotic exploration of the weekend had awoken my inner sex kitten and she had become insatiable. How will I even be able to make it till lunch?

I was sitting at my desk replying to an email when Noah entered my office and quickly closed the door behind him.

"Sex God alert! Christopher Harrington is in da house."

My heart almost jumped out of my ribcage and a grin split my face in two before I recalled that we had agreed not to mention our change of status just yet. Okay, I told Ursula, but it's not the same.

"No offense, but Damn! If there was any chance of this man being on my team, I'd be on my knees before he finished saying 'Hi'."

I laughed uncomfortably, a bit shocked by his boldness. I had to remind myself that it was the usual Harrington effect. Panties spontaneously combusted in his presence... and some boxer briefs too. I used to find it funny, never admitting that he had the same effect on me; not out loud and especially not to my employees. Over the years, we had all witnessed the procession of too many smitten girls convinced that they were the future Mrs H, only to be replaced by a prettier, sexier model-like babe a few weeks later. Why would anyone think it'll be any different with me? They'd probably wonder how he could've gone that low...

"You should have seen Megan at reception try to stop him from getting inside and then liquefy under his stare. That was hilarious," Noah said, oblivious to my self-conscious reflexion.

"Oh crap, I completely forgot to tell her that he was coming for the board meeting. Of course, you didn't offer any assistance..."

"Hell no! That was way too funny. I don't think she has recovered the use of her brain. Not that it makes a big change." You have a point.

"Well, hope she can get those cogs to work again because he's coming back."

"No shit? Really? How much do you bet that she's spread eagled on his desk by the end of the week?"

I choked on my coffee. I would've normally replied that by the end of the day was more accurate, but the thought was unsettling.

"Is everyone here?"

"Yup, all stuffing their face with Danish pastries."

"Hopefully, some will keep their mouth full till noon."

"We're still talking about pastries, aren't we?" He laughed.

I took a deep cleansing breath and pushed to my feet.

"Let's go."

"Did you change something in your makeup?"

"No, why?"

"You look different. Hot."

"Meaning I usually don't. Thanks."

"No, you do. It's something else... Had a great weekend?"

The temperature instantly rose by twenty degrees. Luckily, we entered the boardroom at the same moment and he got distracted by Megan who apparently required his assistance. My eyes searched for Chris. He appeared at the back of the room, his back to the floor to ceiling window wall with the City in background. I thought I was prepared to see him back in his natural element. I clearly wasn't. Oh God, give me the strength not to jump over the table and fuck his brain out with twelve other people in the room.

He looked every bit the urbane sex god I remembered being the master within these walls. His perfectly tailored three-piece charcoal suit was accented by a silver shirt and a matching tie that made his deliciously tanned skin glow, and his longer slicked back hair still gave him a bad boy edge. I wanted to touch him so much. All the cells of my body were screaming 'Take me!' in unison, but I couldn't allow my emotions to show in front of our investors.