Our Lady of Sorrows; Chapter two: Scoprire cose nuove

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE LYRICS USED IN THIS STORY, OR OWN ANY OF THE BAND MEMBERS. (but a girl can dream.) 

“Scoprire cose nuove”.

“Eh. I was hoping for just a room to stay in till morning or something?” I coughed. I think running through the rain was getting to me.

“sure, m’am.” She said in a mocking voice. I looked down at my crotch and said behind her as she was leading me through a corridor last time I checked I was a sir, not a m’am.

She lead me up a set of staircases with red carpet covering them. I nosily looked around as I stepped onto each creaky step and floor.  The walls were covered in dusty old oil paintings, with a few dead wall flowers.  Finally, we’re here. She showed me a dark wooden door; the same type of mahogany wood that was made out of the front desk. She opened it and showed me into a dusty, shitty old room. ‘it’s only for a night..’ I said to myself. She switched the light on, allowing me to see around.

Green stained carpets, cobwebs in each corner of the sickly yellow and orange striped walls. I walked further in as she stayed stood at the door. It was pretty simple décor. A small little TV in the corner of the room, a ‘welcome’ basket, and a bed with red covering on it.

I looked around a few more times.

“Is there even a bathroom here?” was the first thing I thought. “Yes.” She said. Shit, I must have said it out loud.

“Go downstairs and down the hall. It’s the 3rd door on your right hand side.”  She swept her hair out of her face and walked closer into the room, putting the room key in my hand and leaving, closing the door behind her.

“This place is dingy as shit.” I said, laughing. I looked around, and finally found a little desk. I opened the draws, to see if there was anything in them to keep me entertained till morning.

All I managed to scope out was a few leaflets and a bible.

I searched through my pocket looking for my cell phone. First thing first was to call Mikey. He was with Ray and.. Frank. 

I dialled Mikey’s number, waiting for it. Shit! No reception.  God damned hotel. I’ll have to go outside in the morning and try finding a signal. And if that loses hope, a phone box.

I was in the room for a good two hours watching teleshopping. 

I switched the TV off. Time to explore this shit hole. I grabbed my room keys and slammed the door behind me as I left.

I walked down corridor after corridor. Door after door. Dusty oil painting on the wall after dusty oil painting.

But for some reason one caught my eye. I stopped for a second and stared at it. I pulled my hoodies sleeve down and cleaned the dust off the painting; to show a beautiful portrait of a woman with beaming lights going around her head, as her hands covered her heart. I read the bottom of the painting; ‘our lady of sorrows’. Hm. For some reason it just reminded me of Helena, at the desk. I stood and stared for a while, then carried on the venture.

Finally, I came to a room that seemed to grab my attention. ‘Giochi e Sala Lettura’. I wandered in and looked around. All the walls were covered in black lace-design wallpaper, over a red marble floor. This is beautiful. I walked around; I’m in heaven. “Holy shit!” I muttered to myself as I ran to the row of horror novels. The original Dracula book..  The Shining by Stephen King.. Oh jeez I have to tell Frank about this place. He’d love it!

As I walked around a little more, I came to another room. It had two red leather chairs, circled around a GameCube. Ray has to see this…

I looked to my phone. It was 7am, and still dark. Late dawns and early sunsets.. Just like my favourite scenes.

I eventually left the room and went back to my dingy little shit hole of a room, and went for a nap.

I finally woke up at 9:30AM. Should be a good time to call Mikey telling him to meet me.. if only I knew where I was, that is. I walked downstairs to the main desk. Helena wasn’t there. But she was sat kneeling on the floor, looking as if she was counting each single yarn of material in the carpet.

“I’m going out, but is it okay if I can come back here later? With more people? Three, to be exact.” She looked up at me. If looks could kill, I would be dead. She unwillingly nodded and I quickly ran out of the building. It’s brighter now. It’s still kinda spitting with rain, but now at least I can see around.

I walked around a bit, going down roads, streets, alleyways, before knowing where I was. I was stood on Oakwood Avenue! A fair bit away from my home, but surely Mikey knows where this road is.

I got my phone back out of my pocket and searched through my contacts.  “Bob… dad..” I then came across franks name saved on my contacts. ‘Frankie xo’.

I finally came to Mikey and called him.

“Hey?”

“It’s Gerard.”

“Dude, where have you been? We’ve all been worried sick about you. Especially Frank.”

I could feel myself blushing. Thank God Mikey couldn’t see through the phone.

“Oh, well I’m near Soho’s Cleaners and Tailors. I came across this shit awesome place with a library and lots of awesome shit. I wanted to show you guys.”

“Oh. Um, sure. We’ll see you in a few. Ray’s just gotten his hand covered in cupcake icing though. So maybe about, 20 minutes we’ll be there?”

“Okay, see you then”

I said, and I hung up.

To waste my time I decided to rip up leaves from the bushes. Surely enough it wasted the 20 minutes, and I saw Ray’s afro coming down the street and Mikey. I couldn’t see frank. But that’s because he’s so damn short.

I stood up, being welcomed back into the “group” by Mikey hugging me. “So dude where’s this place you wanted to show us then?” Mikey said, with his usual blank expression.

“A few streets away, come on. I basically ran to it last night through the rain. I’m sure it’ll be fine for you guys to walk through it during the day in a little fog."

“Woah, Gee, you ran all the way to some random place in the rain at night by yourself?!” Frank basically shouted to me. It felt good knowing he cared.

“Yeah.” I replied, smirking at him. “You idiot, anything could have happened..” he said, punching my arm jokingly.

Finally we came to the hotel. “Here it is."

“This.. is what you brought us to see?” Ray said, questioningly.

“Yup.” I replied, walking in the doors, with Frank quickly behind me.

Helena wasn’t sat on the floor anymore. She was painting. I wonder if she painted all the oil paintings on the walls? We walked past her and went straight up to the room I was so anxious to show them.

On the way up frank spotted the exact same painting that caught my attention. He stopped for a second and gazed at it, and pointed out a detail in the painting. 

The woman in the painting was holding a.. Jar?

I never noticed that before.

Frank stood staring at the jar on the painting for quite a bit, while Ray and Mikey started playing thumb wars to waste the time till Frank got bored.  All I did was stare at amazement at him. Finally he broke his eyes from the painting and looked at me. “Um.. Gerard?” he said, waving his hand in front of my face. “Oh," I said blushing. Again.  I lead everyone to the room, over hearing frank say to himself ‘Gaze into her killing jar.. I’d sometimes stare for hours.’