Our Lady Of Sorrows; Chapter 11: Dormi bene, il mio amore

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE LYRICS/ASSOCIATIONS IN THIS STORY. ALL RIGHTS GO TO MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE. 

“Dormi bene, il mio amore”.

The day my grandmothers body is put to rest. I had a feeling in my gut, as if I was being punched 1,000 times. 

I ate breakfast unwillingly. My Mom came downstairs in a black blazer and pencil skirt, black lace tights, with the most beautiful black and blood red coloured fascinator I’ve seen. She looked into the mirror as she applied her deep red lipstick and pulled on her black leather gloves.  Around her eyes were red, as if she’s been crying.

I ran upstairs and put on my suit. A black suit and shirt, with a silk red tie. I flattened out my messy black hair, and went back downstairs to wait until it was time. 

Mikey soon appeared down the stairs, in his black almost military style jacket and pants, with his boots.

The clock hit 10AM.

It was time for us to leave the house and go to the procession.

We drove to our Grandmas old house; where her body was, and where the hearse was waiting to bring her to her final resting place.

It was raining again. So not really the best day. But it matches the mood of what’s going to happen 100%.

We arrived at my Grandma and Grandpa’s house. He was stood outside looking into the hearse. The look on his face made him look completely empty and heart broken.  He stood strong in his black tux, white shirt and black tie, with a badge my Grandmother got him on the pocket of his suit. For some reason seeing old people who are in love be broken up completely kills me. My grandfather looked distraught.

I hopped out of the car and gave him a hug. He looked like he needed it. I stood next to him in the rain as everyone else went inside. We stood staring at the hearse for a while, before he turned to me and said “Gerard, you’d better get inside before you catch a cold.” He tried to smile, but you could tell it was forced.

“Grandpa, as long as you stay out here, I’m staying out here.” I replied. Even through the rain, I could see tears form in his eyes.

“Gerard.. When you find someone you love, I don’t care if it’s a guy, a girl, a dog, whatever, cherish them for as long as you have them. Because you can’t have them forever.” He turned back to face the hearse. Those words shook me completely.

“Grandpa did she understand how sorry I was for not seeing her since Christmas?” My bottom lip started to tremble, in an attempt to not cry.

“Of course she did, Gerard. She loved you. She loved Mikey. She loved your friend Ray, with the afro? Haha, oh my did she love him. And she had a special liking for your friend Frank. I’m not sure why, but she always had a special place in her heart for Frank. “ he turned and smiled at me.

“Well, I think it’s about time we get this show on the road. What do you think, Gerard?”

I nodded in agreement. Slightly shocked.

Everyone poured outside with their umbrellas, getting into their cars. The coffin bearers came out and carried the casket to the hearse.Seeing the hearse shocked me a bit... It's not that I didn't expect to see it, it just... Scared me. This was the end, the goodbye.

 My Grandpa hopped into the front of the hearse with the driver, and I walked over to my Mom and Dad’s car, and sat in the back next to Mikey.

Once the hearse set off, we all followed. It kind of reminded me of the game ‘follow the leader.’