Chapter 11: Daddy

Chapter 11

Katniss P.O.V.

"And you'll do what you can?"

Peeta is talking in the phone with the police man who was here for information about Becca. He's holding me in his arms while talking. Matty is sitting in Finnick's lap, his face buried into Finnick's chest. He's scared and Finnick is trying to calm him down. Angie is standing beside them, a hand in Matty's hand.

Fisher refuses to talk to anyone, even his mother and Nathaniel. He's locked himself into the bathroom and we can all hear him sob, chocked sobs which means that he's trying not to sob. It's heartbreaking. We're all confused of what actually happened.

"Thank you", Peeta says hand hangs up the phone.

Peeta slips his phone into his jeans pocket and his grip around me becomes tighter as he pulls me closer to his body. I put my cheek to his chest.

"What did he say?" I ask.

"That we should've kept Riley at home but they're of course going to look for her", Peeta answers.

"It's not like they're going to prioritize her", Fisher says, walking out of the bathroom. "They've got their hands full on finding Becca! Who ran away by herself and Riley went to find her".

"Baby calm down", Annie says.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" Fisher says. "That's the one thing I can not to do, so don't tell me to!"

He's never talked with such a harsh voice towards Annie before. Annie looks just as baffled as I feel. I remember when Fisherwas just a baby, how chubby he was, how cute and how innocent. I remember singing lullabies to him as Annie watched with enchanted eyes. I remember feeding him and changing his diapers. I remember how he was always full of love as he got older. How he would cry for his daddy who couldn't be with him. I remember his first day at school when Annie, I and the twins waved goodbye to him at the school ground. I remember him comforting Riley when she was sad.

These are things only adults can remember. And we take it the hardest when they change. Fisher's changed. His eyes are no longer soft and warm. They are hard and cold. He no longer has a smile on his lips.

"Fisher..." I start but he cuts me off.

"Just don't", he says harsh. "I don't wanna hear it! I'm sick of this ... This baby talking! I'm not a baby anymore and neither are Nathan or Becca and Riley! We're grown up now and nothing is as it was when we were kids!"

Everyone are looking at him. Angie is looking at her big brother with anxious eyes.

"Maybe we all just became friends because we had something in common, which was having fathers in the army, but hell it was a pain and maybe also why Becca freaked out!" Fisher continues. "I'm not justifying her behavior because her behavior stole Riley from me just now and that just did it. If there's been one thing I've been sure of, with dad being in the army was that I would always have Riley, that she would always be here and that I would never lose her, maybe my feelings were not the same way as they are now but I never thought I'd actually lose her, I thought that if I'd lose someone I'd be dad!"

Everyone are quiet. Not daring to say anything. He's right he's not a baby. None of them are. But we still see them as babies because they're our babies.

"But you didn't lose her before she ran off", Nathaniel suddenly says looking at Fisher who looks up at his best friend.

"What?" He asks, not sounding angry but sad.

"I lost Rebecca long before she ran off", Nathaniel says looking down at his feet. Everyone sees tears drop down onto the floor. "I could see the changes before she started acting out, we were as close as anyone could be and I saw what was about to happen but I decided to look past it, that she wouldn't change but she did. I lost my Becca long before she decided to leave".