Chapter 14: Behind the door

Chapter 14

Katniss P.O.V.

When Peeta came back with the inhaler he looked like he's seen a ghost.

He told me that Becca had come home. We all decided to go home, try to talk to her. If Riley wakes up when we're not here the hospital will call us.

I don't feel good about leaving Riley alone at the hospital, or ... I mean Fisher is still there of course, he said he can see Becca when she decides to come to the hospital. I don't think anyone could get him to leave the hospital. He looks really worn out, like Peeta and I, but he just won't leave. No matter how much Finnick and Annie begs him to come home and sleep at least a little he won't go.

The air in the car is tense, really tense. We're all worried about Riley and we're worried about Becca. This has been really frustrating and hard and I've felt so helpless and like an really awful mother.

I haven't told Peeta that I think I'm an awful mother, I don't want to tell him. We still don't know if Riley's ever going to wake up or if Becca is going to stay or what will happen and that's enough problems as it is.

Knowing that Becca is home now though, calms me down. It feels like at least something, just something, can be solved, or at least we could try to solve whatever happened.

I really want to talk to Becca, I want to ask her what we did wrong, what I did wrong. I want to ask her if it's really that awful to be our daughter.

I want my baby girls back. They were so cute when they were little, so caring and so loving. Riley still is and I guess Becca is as well but she doesn't show it. All she shows is anger and bitterness. And she scared the hell out of us all when she ran away. And I still don't get why she did run away.

My heads gonna explode soon. I have such a bad headache. I haven't slept for days. And neither has Peeta. We might've dozed off a little at times but we haven't gotten real sleep.

I pull out some aspirin from my bag and swallow them down with the last of my water form my water bottle.

"Mom what's that?" Matty asks, sounding worried.

"Just something for my headache baby", I say calming him down.

"Is Becca really home?" Matty asks from the backseat in the car.

"If she hasn't left again", Peeta says pulling up on the driveway.

We all jump out of the car and Matty runs up to the house. He opens the door and runs in.

"Becca?" He shouts when Peeta and I enter the house.

No reply. I start to feel anxious. Maybe she did leave again. Maybe she left right after Peeta went back to the hospital.

I can see that Peeta is thinking the exact same thing as I am. We look at each other and Matty presses himself between us to reach the stairs.

We walk up the stairs and sees that Riley's bedroom door is closed. I try to open it but it's closed. Sobs coming out of the room.

Well she hasn't left yet. And I hope she won't leave again. I'm gonna chain her to the floor to make sure she doesn't leave again if she gets that thought again.

"Becca, honey are you in there?" I ask, trying to talk to her.

"Yeah", she sobs.

"Open the door", Peeta says.

"No", Becca sobs.

Why has she locked herself into Riley's room? Why has she locked herself in a room at all? I just want to see her, hold her in my arms, tell her that it's not her fault and tell her how much I love her, no matter what she's done or said in the past.