Chapter Eleven

Hi guys!

I know, I know, I'm a bit late, but I had a sleepover and I still had to write about half of the chapter when I got back ;)

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF DRAG ME DOWN? AMAZING RIGHT? I THINK IT TOTALLY IS! (I've listened to it like a thousand times. Not even kidding. Oops)

So yesterday The Spy hit 180K reads! I seriously can't believe it's been read so many times! Thank you to all you amazing people out there - this would never have happened without you guys and I'm really, really grateful! Thank you thank you thank you!

Now then. Here's chapter eleven! :)

Enjoy!

-:-:-:-

Chapter Eleven

 The ride back is very silent. At least I am. Ruby and Louis are talking and I sometimes say a few words, but I keep staring out the window as if I'm hoping to see this person drive past us. Honestly, it's ridiculous. I don't even know what they look like – I don't even know if it's a he or a she, for God's sake.

I know nothing about them.

When we arrive, I snap out of my daze and step out of the car, putting on my best smile as we walk to our front door. I'm the last one to take off my coat, but I still am the second to head into the living room.

He pulls me back into the hallway when Ruby runs into the living room. "What is it?" he frantically asks me, looking at me with wide eyes.

"What is what?" I ask, acting as if I don't know what he's talking about.

He frowns at me. "Back at the parking lot, what was on your phone?"

I look away for a moment, shaking my head. "It's- it's fine."

"Please, don't give me that crap again. What is it?"

I stare at him for a few moments, hoping he won't explode or something. "Texts," I tell him. "I got three texts from them."

He knows what I mean by 'them'. There's not many people we refer to as 'them' and he can see the worry in my eyes. "What did they say?"

"They were following us," I whisper, glancing into the living room to see if Ruby is out of hearing range. I notice she's approaching, but I quickly turn back to Louis. "Cinema, lunch, car. They sent pictures."

"Mommy? Daddy?" Ruby appears in the doorway. "Are you okay?"

I put on a smile for her. "Of course, sweetie. Mommy and daddy just had to talk about something."

"Talk about what?"

"It doesn't matter anymore, sweetie. Let's go play a game, yeah?"

"Yes!"

Pretty sure it's going to be another nerf war. It's one of her all-time favourites.

While Ruby runs back to grab whatever game she wants to play, I turn back to Louis, who looks bewildered.

"What are we gonna do?"

To be honest, I'm not sure I can do anything about it. But I can't tell him that – I promised everything would be okay. I promised I could solve this without involving outsiders. "Just don't worry, okay? I'll trace the number on Monday and I'll see if there's something I can work with," I tell him. He's frowning at me, looking wary of the plan. "We can't let this affect our lives, Louis. It's what they're aiming for."

"It's impossible. I'm scared we'll get a repeat performance of last time something like this happened," he says, frowning as he looks into the living room, where Ruby is excitedly setting up the game. Another nerf war, as expected. "Only now, we've got so much more to lose."