Chapter 2

We wait for all of the initiates to jump. It takes a while, but they all manage to make the plunge into the darkness. Most of them scream as they fall, some of the girls and even one of the boys are in tears once they reach the net. Once we have all of them are on solid ground again, Lauren and I gesture for them to follow us and begin to lead them down the tunnel to where we will separate.

"This is where we divide," says Lauren. "The Dauntless-born initiates are with me. I assume youdon'tneed a tour of the place." She smirks and continues down another tunnel with the Dauntless-born initiates in tow.

I turn to look at the transfer initiates; there are nine remaining, 5 Candor, 3 Erudite, and 1 Abnegation. They are an interesting looking group. I scan them immediately looking for strengths and weaknesses in each of them. Two of the Candor and the two Erudite guys are around six feet tall or slightly more. The other three Candor, one guy and two girls, are about the same height, the Erudite girl and Tris are about the same size and stature also. I'm surprised that I already remember her name. I guess it's because she was the first jumper.

They all look at me expectantly. I laugh to myself remembering how I must have looked at Amar on my choosing day. He was so intimidating looking. He carried himself with such authority and everyone revered him, or at least I thought.

Once the Dauntless born follow Lauren out of sight, I begin talking to the group. I keep my face hard and keep my voice low and menacing. I want to make sure I start off as intimidating as I can. I make sure that I glare at them and don't let them think that I could be even remotely friendly. It won't be hard for them to learn fear of me, pretty much everyone in Dauntless has some kind of fear of me, even if it is unfounded.

"Most of the time I work in the control room, but for the next few weeks, I am your instructor. My name is Four."

"Four? Like the number?" says one of the Candor girls. She's tall with dark skin and black hair. She seems to befriended Tris. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I scowl at the girl. What other kind of Four would make sense for a name? "Yes," I growl. "Is there a problem?" I hate stupid questions.

"No," she says quietly.

"Good. We're about to go into the Pit, which you will someday learn to love. It-"

"The Pit? Clever name." says the candor girl. I cannot believe that she is insisting on talking again. Did she not get my point the first time? Apparently not, I'm going to have to put an end to this.

I walk up to her, lean in close and stare at her. "What is your name?" I ask quietly, in my deepest most intimidating voice.

"Christina," she manages to peep out.

"Well Christina, if I wanted to put up with Candor smart-mouths, I would have joined their faction," I growl. "The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep your mouth shut. Got that?"

Christina nods. I think I made my point based on the look on all of the transfers' faces. I love being intimidating. I think Amar would be proud.

I turn and continue toward the Pit. The group remains silent now, until I hear the voice again. This girl is going to make me crazy if she doesn't shut her mouth. I can't stand it when they don't know when to shut-up.

Behind me I hear Christina whisper to Tris. "What a jerk."

"I guess he doesn't like to be laughed at," says Tris.

That's interesting. For a stiff, she gets it.

I push open a set of double doors leading to the Pit and guide them in.