Chapter 4

Today is the first day of fighting. I stop by the dining hall to grab a quick bite and get to the training room at 7a.m. so that I can work off some nervous energy before the day begins. By the time the first initiates arrive I am winded and my hands are red from the punching bag. I don't pay attention to who comes in I only continue to throw punches at the bag. It is the only thing other than the chasm that seems to settle me down at all.

I hear whispering behind me and realize who has been in here watching me for the past couple minutes, it is Tris and Christina. I still don't turn though. I start to use my knees and elbows to demonstrate how to use them and how to inflict maximum damage. This is a way that I can show her how to fight without being obvious. I hope she is watching and taking notes. If she is, it will only help her in the future.

I hear the door open again and I stop punishing the bag. The rest of the initiates enter and I turn to focus on them.

"Since there are an odd number of you, one of you won't be fighting today," I tell them. I turn the chalkboard to reveal the pairings. Tris won't be fighting today, she really isn't ready yet, so I decided to give her a reprieve. I look at her and she is visibly relieved, the look she gives me sends chills through me. I'm not sure why this girl has this effect on me, but I have to stop this. Nothing can come from these feelings.

Eric enters the room as promised. He looks at the pairings and takes his spot by the wall to observe the initiates.

The first pairing, Will and Al, enter the ring and start to circle one another the way I taught them. At least someone was paying attention yesterday. Al is physically larger than Will and has enough strength in his size to end this quickly. Al punches Will in the jaw and Will is clearly shaken. Eric is enjoying the fight, smiling when Al punches Will. Will is able to block Al's next attack, but he is not doing well. Will stands and they begin to circle each other again.

Across the ring from where I'm standing, Tris talks to Christina. Christina is dressed in tight fitting clothes and wears make-up. Christina has embraced the Dauntless style, Tris has not. She has given up her grey for black, but her clothes are baggy and she is still wearing grey shoes. Hopefully Christina will be able to help Tris come out of her shell a bit and get her to lose the Abnegation part of her before someone notices. I have a feeling that is the only way that she will be able to really succeed here.

Next to me Eric yells, "Do you think this is a leisure activity? Should we break for nap-time? Fight each other!"

"But..." Al says putting his hands down "Is it scored or something? When does the fight end?"

"It ends," Eric says, "when one of you is unable to continue."

This comment angers me, but I show no emotion when I say, "According to Dauntless rules, one of you could also concede."

Eric glares at me, "According to the old rules. In the new rules, no one concedes."

Now, feeling a rage building but controlling it, I say," A brave man acknowledges the strength of others."

Eric fires back,"A brave man never surrenders."

Eric and I stare at each other. What can he possibly know about bravery? He is a power hungry coward, afraid of losing his position and of other people's strength. There is no winning this staring contest and I realize this.

I feel the eyes of all the initiates on us as we argue. I especially feel Tris' eyes on me. I refuse to back down from him and show him any kind of weakness. Then Al's voice jars me out of this stupid struggle for dominance. I turn my attention back to the two fighting in the center of the ring.