Chapter 2

Mermaids.

He's... a mermaid.

My hands were getting sweaty and me heart wanted to escape up my throat. The boy... I mean, mermaid kept smiling at me.

"Y- Yo- You're... You're a... mermaid?" - I finally got to ask.

"What? Oh no man, I'm not a mermaid. Jesus, why would you think that?" - The boy chuckled. So he isn't... Oh my god this is confusing. My mind is playing tricks I see.

"Oh." - I said. - "Ok 'cause I thought I saw a fish ta-"

"I'm actually a merMAN." - He smirk. He sat on a rock next to mine and let shown a shiny fish tail that had the same color of his eyes that started from the hip and down. The fin at the tip was pastel blue. The fish boy looked at my face, as to see what my reaction would be.

Oh.

A merman.

Oh ok.

Cool.

I scream and tried to stand up, but I failed to balance my feet and slipped from the rock, falling into the water. I kept screaming out of shock, I could see the bubbles coming out of my mouth. I swam to the surface were I took a chunk of air. The fish boy had a worry up face. I swam behind the rocks, hiding from that... that... thing.

"Are you ok, man?" - He asked.

"G- Get away from me!"

"But-"

"I have a sword!!"

"What?"

"I'll use it, I swear!"

"..."

"It's sharp, and it's AWESOME! And... it's a sword!!!"

A few moment of silence. Then I just heard some laughs.

"Hahahahaha Oh man! That's hilarious!" - and he kept on laughing.

And a few moments later, I hear a splash. I stick out my head from the rock to see if he was still there, but there was nothing there. I sighed in relief. I turn around from where I was and the merman was facing me a few inches apart me. I screech and swan a bit away.

"You know, I've never seen you such a face like yours around here." - I could sense a hint of curiosity in his tone. - "You're not from here, aren't you?"

"Uh... no. I'm from Texas, actually."

"Texas? Oh boy, that's a funny name to call a country."

"It's a state..." - I corrected.

"Pfft! Whatever, smarty pants."

He jump to the rock were I used to be sitting on before he appears.

"My name's Egbert. What's your name?"

"Um... Dirk." - I responded.

"Well, Dirk. It's nice meeting you!" - Egbert's warm smile glommed his face one more time, and I'm actually sorry to admit this, but he made me blush a little.

"So..." - I cough. - "A merman, you say?"

"Yeah, but don't worry. I won't seduce you and lure you to your own death. Those things are WAY too 18th century."

Sure, 'cause that's what's been bothering me about all this.

You can say I'm not taking this the lightest. I'm a big fan of mythology and yes, I've heard about all this mermaid crap, but... I'm trying to process everything here.