Something's Amiss

We were in Potions class, we meaning me and the Yank, and we were paired up. We were going to attempt the Annoyance Potion.

Apparently, if brewed correctly, the fumes would bring out our most hated annoyances. I was paired up, UNFORTUNATELY, with the Yank and we started the Potion.

1 ounce of boomslang skin
2 ounces of ground lacewings
6 porcupine quills
4 ounces of ground moon stone

Let simmer for twenty minutes
Then add 2 drops of alligator tears
Also drop a hair from you and your partner's head

We followed the directions and after twenty minutes we added the tears and our hair. Soon my cauldron started talking like both me and the Yank. And it seemed as though our voices were arguing.

"Oh for Merlin's sake, Yankee, I DONT LIKE YOU!"

"But... everyone likes me."

"WELL I DONT! FRANKLY I FIND YOU AN ARROGANT LITTLE TOERAG!"

"But... will you go out with me?"

"ID RATHER DATE THE GIANT SQUID THAN GO OUT WITH YOU! I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF YOUR BROOM COULD GET OFF THE GROUND WITH THAT BIG HEAD IF YOURS." I couldn't help it, I started laughing... hard. I had tears running down my face and Harry handed me a tissue.

"Oh Merlin's beard, Harry, I didn't actually say it but.... that's freaking awesome." He just grinned at me and pulled me into a hug.

"BUT LUPIN..."

"NO YOU ANNOYING LITTLE TWIT, ID RATHER JUMP INTO THE BLACK LAKE THAN SPEND ANY MORE TIME WITH YOU!!"

"Well that escalated quickly." I said to no one in particular and everybody laughed.

"BUT.. BUT YOURE A GIRL. GIRLS LIKE ME!"

"YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A BLANK BOOK. YOU ARE SOMEWHAT PRETTY ON THE OUTSIDE BUT YOU HAVE NO REAL QUALITY OTHER THAN THAT. YOU BANK ON YOUR LOOKS INSTEAD OF USING YOUR BRAINS OR ANYTHING ELSE. FRANKLY YOURE AS USELESS AS A RUBBER DUCK!"

The Yank looked at me and he had tears running down his face. All the other girls glared at me, like it was my fault that those words were said. "Oh quit crying, I didn't even say that to you. See.., you acted so tough this morning and now look at you..."

"You know you would say that to me... you hate me."

"Wow... you think that you're worthy enough for me to have any other emotion than annoyance in regards to you. I don't respect you enough to hate you. Now if we're talking hate, the only person in this school that even comes close to that is Draco Malfoy. But you... nah. I don't waste my time on jerks who think that they're Merlin's gift to women. I mean Draco's an idiot but all that drives him is family and Slytherin pride. I respect that... I dislike him strongly but I respect him. And as my lovely voice said... You're as useless as a rubber duck."

The bell rang and everybody walked out except for me and him. "Mr Haleson, Miss Lupin, a word please." Uh oh Sev's a little pissy.

"Now.. tell me why the Potion created your voices that were yelling at each other?"

"I guess that I annoy him. And he definitely annoys me. But the yelling was a twist."

Severus nodded and said, "Mr Haleson why were you leaking in my classroom?"

"L-leaking, Professor?"

"He means why were you bawling like a two-year old, dunderhead."

"Because the words that her voice was saying to mine hurt my feelings, sir."

He got his wittle fweelings hurt....aww poor wittle baby.

"And I'm stuck with an emotional teenaged boy why exactly? Even Neville Longbottom is less of a crybaby than this one."

"Miss Lupin, will you try to get along with Mr Haleson?"

"Why?"

"To prove that you're a mature young lady."

"Don't I do that when I talk to Malfoy in a calm manner? Why do I need this annoyance around?"

"Because he's in a new country and a new school." The Yank had the nerve to smile at this.

"Ohhhh so he should get special treatment because we feel sorry for the wittle baby Yankee so far away from home." That wiped the smirk off his face and I smirked at him. "I'm not doing charity work just because he's in a new country. He could go to Durmstrang for all I care. Doesn't anyone remember that that little twat tried to smack me on the first day that he came here?"

"I wasn't going to.."

"Bullshit. Don't even try to lie to me you disgusting little rat. Better yet, don't talk."

"Legilimens." Severus used Legilimency on him and quickly came out of his mind. "You were going to hit her, you stupid child. And you deliberately influenced Professor McGonagall into making you and Miss Lupin buddies. Both of you come with me."

The Yank's face turned dark and for a second I was worried for Sev's safety. Something wasn't right with this one.

"Not a chance,old man." The Yank grabbed his wand and started to say, "Avada..." and I grabbed mine and silently used the Body Binding Curse on him.

"And we can add the attempted murder of a Professor to the list. I knew there was a reason I didn't like him." I said offhandedly to Sev as we went up to Dumbledore's office with the Yank in tow.

"What do we have here, Severus, Rayne?"

"Oh nothing much just this one tried to kill Professor Snape, um.. probably used the Imperious Curse on Professor McGonagall, and was going to physically harm me on the day that I Stunned him, Professor."

"Is this..." Snape cut him off and says,"what Rayne says is true Albus. I don't really think that Mr Haleson is a student either."

Half an hour later, a young man with blue eyes and blond hair erupted from the Yank's body.

"Severus, do you have the Veritaserum?"

"Always, Albus." Together they poured the Potion down his throat and mercilessly interrogated him. Apparently I was his main target and he was trying to kidnap me for Bellatrix Lestrange, to get back at Sirius for something that he did.

According to him, she thought that Sirius was my dad and that my dad was just a cover.

The woman is seriously, pardon the pun, deranged. But Dumbledore made me change where I sleep, he put me in Sev's chambers for the time being, and sent a letter off to both the Ministry and my dad.

There were two Aurors that took the guy that tried to kidnap me away and they were pretty chummy Dumbledore.

Of course, after that was over Sev, with a little affirmation from me, told Dumbledore about my abilities and asked that he, Severus Snape, be my private tutor in DADA. Dumbledore, with his bright blue eyes that were twinkling, agreed wholeheartedly, but I was more worried about that whole 'twinkling' thing.

It just seemed like I was missing something that Dumbledore was planning with me and Sev. Something was amiss in Hogwarts, but I didn't know what. I was determined to find out what, though.