Chapter 12 Continued

His eyes widened and the room felt like it was spinning. He could feel a lump in his throat and believed he was about to lose his lunch. He needed to hold it together, show no weakness or fear. But he could feel tears starting to form in his eyes. Mostly because part of him knew that this gun might be the last thing he'd ever see. Because he knew that the man standing in front of him was no coward, and that he wouldn't hesitate putting a bullet through his skull. And he didn't even know who this man was. His heart was beating at a thousand miles per minute and he never blinked. His eyes didn't even look up at his assassinator. They just stayed focused on the gun aimed at his face that had a bullet with his name on it in the chamber.

"I've been waiting a long time for this day detective," the gunman said.

"Who are you?" Danny asked in a whisper after taking a minute to try and find his voice.

"The name's Derrick Malevsky," he said prompting Danny to look up at his attacker for the first time, "you might remember my brother, Sonny."

"Yeah I remember Sonny," Danny said. How could he forget him? Sonny changed his life and the lives of everyone around him forever. Det. Sonny Malevsky was the man that killed his brother, Joe. Malevsky was a part of the Blue Templer, an organization filled with dirty cops. Joe was investigating them as a part of a deal he made with the FBI, and was killed when he got too close. The rest of their lives were never the same after that. Jaime and Erin would never stop missing him. His father would never stop blaming himself, believing that he sent his son to die. And Danny being the oldest, feeling like it was his job to protect his siblings, would never stop feeling like he failed his kid brother. For months they tried to track down Joe's killer, but the case went cold, until Jaime picked up where Joe left off in the Blue Templer case. But like Joe, Jaime too got too close for comfort and was almost killed. Thankfully, he's still alive and it led to them tracking down the Blue Templer and learning that Sonny was Joe's killer. That night, Sonny Malevsky took his own life with his own gun. It seemed like that was the end of it. But now that memory was coming back to haunt them. Sonny had no problems killing Joe, meaning his brother would have no problem putting another Reagan in the ground.

"I remember him admitting to killing my brother," Danny said bitterly.

"Joe's death was nothing personal," Derrick argued, "but yours will be. Your family has to pay for what you did to my family. You all deserve to suffer."

"I think we've suffered enough," Danny tried but Malevsky pressed the gun against his forehead, the cold metal sending a shiver down his spine.

"Nah," Derrick said, "this is just the beginning." Then Danny closed his eyes waiting for the end to come, praying for his saviour to walk through that door.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at 1PP, everything they needed to say had been said and Erin was getting ready to leave her father's office. The good feeling they had lingered throughout the room. Just then, her cell phone started in her purse and she pulled it out to see DANNY written across the screen. Maybe he was well enough to reach his cell phone. Maybe it was another piece of good news that could be added to their meeting.