Chapter 7

Hours passed and still no change. Linda had fallen asleep at Danny's side and Jamie sat in the room just in case. The rest of the Reagans had made the hospital waiting room their home away from home, and made it very clear to the nurses that they weren't going anywhere. They sat there drinking their coffee, but it wasn't just coffee in their cups. If there was one thing for certain about this family, they loved to drink. Erin had gone out to get some sandwiches for the group and brought back a nice bottle of wine and each one poured a shot into their cups. They sat back eating their sandwiches and Erin watched as her grandfather took his coat off to see a revolver attacked to his belt.

"Pop, you brought a gun?!" she asked sounding slightly surprised, but knew in her heart that he had a justified reason for it.

"Yeah so what?" Henry fought back.

"It's a hospital," she said.

"And there's a mad man out there who nearly blew up my grandson," he defended, "I'm not taking any chances." And with that they all sat silently once again. They barely moved all night and as the sun set and rose, Henry sat there watching the door, as Erin, Nicky, and the boys lay there asleep on the couches. Frank, however, was not sitting with them. He had left the others to check on his son who had been lying in that bed all night. He walked up to the door and stood in its way watching the people inside. Linda was still lying next to Danny in his bed, and Jamie had fallen asleep on watch. But unlike those two Reagans, Frank didn't sleep a wink. Not a single phone call all night, meaning not a single man or woman in all of 1PP found anything regarding who was after his family. They couldn't stay in the hospital forever and they couldn't just go home, especially not knowing how Danny was doing. He walked in, with silent steps trying not to wake his son and daughter-in-law, and stood next to Danny's bed. He watched his son, lying motionless in the bed, with the only signs of life being the rise and fall of his chest, and the steady beeping of the monitor. His skin was paler than usual, probably from the fact that he had been out since the blast. He didn't like seeing him like that. He'd rather watch him rant about what he would do to catch the guy. He'd rather see him walk out of that precinct looking pissed off, but fueled and determined. Anything but watch him lie there motionless. Frank pulled up an empty chair sitting on the side of the room and sat next to Danny's bed. He didn't know what to say or do so he just sat there, and watched his son sleep.

—————————————————————————————————————————

It was silent. Danny hated the silence. He hated the darkness. It all seemed like a nightmare that would never end. First he was nearly blown to bits in his precinct, his second home, and then he nearly died from dust. He couldn't wait to get out of there. He wanted to be back patrolling the streets looking for this son of a bitch. But instead he lay in a realm of darkness. At least this time he could breathe. Just then, the darkness began to fade and spots of light began to sneak their way into his vision. Soon the darkness had almost completely disappeared and he could feel his eyelids getting lighter. He cracked them open to find himself looking directly into the bright hospital lights. He let out a harsh breath as he squeezed his eyes shut and away from the light. He tried looking at something that would cause him less pain, and that's when he realized there was a light weight on his chest. He looked down to see a delicate hand placed on top of his chest that led to his beautiful wife who had fallen asleep right next to him. The sight of her brought a smile to his battered face, but his attention was pulled away to someone else.