Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Even more time had began to go by, everyone else was out living their lives, being reckless.

I was at home, playing with my dog. I decided to take Tiger for a walk. I was getting better with the memories. I took Tiger through the trails and came across the bench we talked on. I held my breath and stopped us. I ran my hand over the smooth wood and took a seat.

I closed my eyes and thought back to her bright, blue eyes and electric smile. Christmas, New Years, and now Easter had gone by lonely. No family visits, not that I had much to start with. I received calls on my birthday a few weeks ago, but spent that by celebrating with me, Tiger, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

"Is this seat taken?"

I opened my eyes to see a stunning brunette standing in front of me with her Chocolate Lab. I scooted over and watched her cautiously.

"I'm Hayden."

"Ashton."

She was beautiful, no doubt about it, but her name wasn't Sunday and she wasn't blonde.

I stood up and pulled on Tiger's leash.

"Nice meeting you," I said.

She smiled sadly and waved after me.

Maybe she was just as lonely as I was. I decided that day that that park was a disaster for meeting beautiful girls with beautiful smiles and beautiful dogs.

I received a text from a random number and frowned, looking down at it.

'Hey, man, it's been a while!'

'Who is this?'

'Chase Braden. Your cousin, of course.'

'How've you been lately?'

I got a call from the same number and picked it up.

"Hey, Chase."

"It's good to hear your voice. To answer your question, I've been alright. How about you?"

"I've been better, honestly."

"Sorry to hear that. How's Sunday?"

"We're, uh, not together anymore."

"Sh*t, man. So it's true. I hear Will's an a*s-hat, anyway."

"Yeah, me too."

There was an awkward silence for a while.

"Do you know where she's living? Like is she still in New York?"

"Nah, man. That's why I called you. I thought you two were together and in town."

"She's in Michigan?"

"Just visiting. She still lives in New York. 20 minutes from you maybe?"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. She'll be back in 4 days or so."

"She's got a new job at the Starbucks on 17th."

"Thanks man. I'll have to visit soon."

"I'll see you around. Get your girl back."

He hung up and I was left with a feeling of hope. If there's one thing I've learned, is that Hope is a very dangerous thing.