Chapter Five

Fun fact: i had half of this chapter written but my phone randomly shut off & i didnt save. i just love when that happens((:

Gray's POV

What the hell was that?!

"Did we just go on a date"?!

A date?! Why couldn't it just be two friends going out to eat? Why did it need a label?

Gray was thankful there was a red light so he could throw his head back and run his hands through his coarse hair and droop them down his face.

Well, he did insist that he pay for her. And he drove her home. But he drives her everywhere. It was no big deal; Gray was just being nice. That was all.

Now that he thought about it, he was around Juvia most of the time. A lot more than any of his other friends, and when they weren't together she was texting him.

He wasn't opposed to hanging out with Natsu and all of them a little more. He was just always around Juvia. Almost like it was natural.

No, it wasn't "natural", per say. It was more like he felt inclined to be around her.

But why? She was weird, awkward, clingy, and just downright annoying at times.

So what the hell was it that gave him this inclination to be with her?

This was a thought he was definitely going to have to sleep on tonight.

If he could get a full night of sleep, that is.
-
When Gray went to pick up Juvia the next morning, he pulled up to her awkwardly shifting while standing on her lawn. Clearly, something was on her mind as well.

She eventually noticed Gray and shuffled into the passenger's seat.

"G-good morning." Juvia forced a smile and stifled a laugh.

"U- uh, yeah. Morning." Gray stammered.

Damn, what was with him. What he said in his head was "Good morning to you, too" or something like that. But as soon as she entered the atmosphere it was like all the words that were in his head fell out of his mouth in random order.

The rest of the car ride was silent. Along with their morning. No one said anything as they walked to homeroom, and they didn't see each other for the rest of the morning.

Regardless of the tension between Gray and Juvia, the seating arrangemens at lunch were the same. Gray and Juvia tried best to avoid eye contact with each other.

Gray did this by scowling every time he saw her out of the corner of his eye. Juvia would respond by having her mouth quiver, and then she would let out a small sigh.

Natsu scrambled his papers and pencils together on the table while everyone else ate lunch. Everyone but Juvia, anyway.

"You good?" Gajeel asked as he eyed up Natsu's items.

"Ah, yeah. Well, not really." Natsu scribbled some things onto a paper. "Remember that report for English class? Yeah I never finished it."

"What?! Natsu, you promised me you would finish it last night!" Lucy knitted her eyebrows.

"I said I would finish it before it was due. It's due at 6th period today. I still got time. Don't worry." Natsu gave her a cheeky smile and held her hand with the one that wasn't writing things down. Lucy gave in and gave him a soft smile.

"Hey, what's the date?" Natsu asked the table.

Something in Gray's head snapped. Clearly, "date" was some sort of trigger word for him.