Chapter 10

Gray's POV

Gray didn't receive any texts from Juvia the next day. He even texted her first, but there was no reply.

So when he went to pick her up on Monday and she wasn't waiting out front, he was officially worried. He picked up his cell phone and gave her a call.

"Hello." Juvia answered. Her voice sounded very monotone.

"Hey, uh, where are you?"

"Juvia is walking to school." It was so strange. Her voice sounded- dead, almost.

"What?! That's a hike! Whatever just let me know where you're at, and I'll come and get you." Gray began to put his car into drive.

"Juvia took a different way, and she's almost there so it's no use. Bye." And with that she hung up.

Gray didn't really know how to react. He sat still for a moment and thought about Juvia. Was she still upset from when he-well- rejected her? He couldn't blame her, but she needed to understand that this was in her best interest.

He hurried to homeroom as soon as he got to school so he would have time to talk to her. He walked in the room and there she was. She was sitting in the front corner seat, with her head down wrapped up in her arms.

His feet felt like they were glued to the floor, because as soon as he saw her he couldn't move. After a few deep breaths, he walked towards her. She either didn't know he was standing right beside her, or she just didn't want to acknowledge his presence.

"Uh, Juvia?" Gray felt heard his voice crack a little and his cheeks warmed up.

She said nothing.

"Juvia." Gray said in a more steady tone, and nudged her shoulder.

She peeked the top of her head out of her folded arms. Her hair was up in a messy pony tail. Pieces were sticking out everywhere, but she didn't seem to mind. Once he got a look at her eyes he noticed they were bloodshot and rather puffy. Like she had been crying.

"Juvia? Are you okay?" He leaned down a bit to get a closer look at her face. She quickly turned her head back to her arms.

"Hey... Would you just talk to me?" Gray was almost beginning to get frustrated.

She shook her head in her arms as a response.

"Look, if this is about last night, I-"

He was interrupted by the bell going off, signaling them to go to first period.

Juvia sluggishly stood up and threw her bookbag over her shoulder. She paid no attention to Gray as she began to mope to first period.

All Gray could do was watch her walk away. Before she could walk out of the door, she stopped.

Her head slightly turned to the side, and Gray could see her bangs covering one of her eyes.

"Not everything is about you, Gray-sama." She muttered, but Gray could hear every word. No matter how muffled her voice was, he still could hear the pain in her voice and the words brought a bad taste to his mouth.

For the next few hours, Gray did the best he could to push Juvia to the back of his mind. Because of this, Gray was getting much more irritable. He was being short-tempered with people, and it seemed that the only faces he could make were a scowl or a disgusted glare. He didn't want to worry about her so much, but he just did. He didn't want her to be on his mind 24/7, but she was. And he couldn't figure out why. He wanted her to get out of his head so badly, it gave him a migraine. So why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he push her out of his mind like everyone else? He sure as hell wanted to, but he just couldn't.