Three

Carina and Milo fuss over me one last time. "Are you sure you're ready?" Carina presses, brushing more hair away from my face. "I really think you should put your hair up. Or cut it." Carina gasps. "You should let me cut it!"

"Carina, she's not going to let you cut her hair," Milo says, pulling her away from me. "She'll be fine. Lana, you'll be fine," Milo assures me.

Carina nods. "Yes. Of course." She takes a deep breath, then throws her arms around my neck. "Oh, I'm just so proud of you!" She cries. "My little baby, going on her first date with a god she actually likes!"

"Okay, Carina," I say gently, patting her on the back. "I need you to get off me now--"

"Actually..." Milo throws himself over his sister. "She's right!" He cries theatrically.

I shriek as their combined weight almost topples me over. "Get off!" I yell.

The twins spring off me. "Spades, Carina, you almost ruined her whole outfit!" Milo cries.

"I almost ruined her whole outfit? The outfit I helped her plan?" Carina repeated.

I hum to tune out their argument. Carina and Milo have dressed me in a white and black plaid button-up tucked into a pair of blue skinny jeans tucked into a pair of black combat boots because, as Carina had put it, "He can't like you too much."

"Lana!" My mother calls. "He's here!"

Milo and Carina immediately stop arguing. "Are you ready?" Milo asks, and for once he's serious

"Probably not," I admit. "But...I do kind of like him. I've gotta go on a date if I like him, right?" I laugh semi-hysterically.

"You know, you don't actually have to date anyone," Carina suggests.

"Lana!" My mother calls again, sounding a bit irritated now. "He's waiting!"

I sigh. "I'd better go. 'He's waiting!'" I say, mimicking my mother's voice.

Milo and Carina laugh. "Go for it!" They cheer before pushing me out the door.

I make my way down the stairs. "You're sure you brushed your hair?" My mother whispers as I reach the bottom step.

"Yes, mother," I insist, pushing past her. "Is he outside?"

She follows, tugging on my loose hair. "He is waiting in the living room," she hisses.

I lead my mother into the living room, where Horus is talking with my father. They both stand up upon my entrance, staring at me. "Lana," Horus says, his voice full of awe. "You look wonderful."

I smile. "Thank you. You look wonderful, too." He's wearing a red tee-shirt with white paint splatter patterns and a pair of loose blue jeans and canvas sneakers, and his black hair is cut shorter than before, even shorter than Anubis', close to his
head. Anubis...

"Let's go," Horus says, bringing me back to the present. I lead him to the front door, where he helps me into one of my lighter jackets. "Are you sure you don't want to wear something warmer?" Horus asked, slightly concerned.